Head of Mechanical Engineering
We are seeking a change-agent, a transformational leader to be part of the executive team of a large, multi-billion dollar medical organization. This is a mature, dynamic, global company, with complex products (large instruments with precise components - 30+ complex subsystems per instrument).
We seek someone experienced and able to drive aggressive change. This role leads approximately 80+ people across multiple sites. Organizational change/leadership is the main priority in filling this newly created role, but we also need someone who has high level Engineering experience with complex systems, precision components, subsystem/layers of development, and ideally in a regulated environment. The Headof this group will be ultimately responsible for quality, timeliness and costs of all Mechanical Engineering designs for all development projects within the division. You will demonstrate expertise in Mechanical Engineering field (Mechatronics, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering), advanced development methodologies, advanced PLM tools practices, and procedures. We are looking for a high level leader who can look outside the Mechanical department to solve complex issues and understand how the entire organization pieces together.
- Responsible for directing and managing all Mechanical Engineering activities. Ensures compliance to all verification and testing procedures and policies of product development applicable to the product development scope.
- Successfully defines work flows, jobs, and reporting relationships to obtain optimum effectiveness of engineering groups.
- Manage cost center spending, budgets and interface with R&D project leadership for resource demands, schedule, metrics, etc.
- Lead continuous functional excellence improvement efforts for Mechanical Engineering.
- Drive complete and full integration of Mechanical Engineering Development Teams across sites; this includes not only procedural harmonization but best practice, tool usage, resource sharing, and actual daily practice.
- Must be able to provide leadership and drive continuous improvement
- Ability to evaluate, review and critique Mechanical Engineering design.
- Strong knowledge of Product Development Process and Design Control
- Attention to quality in all initiatives
- Working understanding of DfSS, Design Optimization and Robustness, Knowledge Briefs (K-Briefs) and Knowledge Gap Analysis is strongly preferred.
- Champion of Reliability Engineering
- Bachelor's Degreerequired (Mechanical Engineering or similar), Advanced Degreerequired.
- Leadership experience at a Director or Senior Management level required. Role leads 80+ people (directly/indirectly). As a requirement, we are looking for someone who has led minimum 25+ employees (ideally multi-site) and multiple layers of employees.
- Must have previous experience with complex design, development, testing and modifications of solutions. Medical Instrument/Device experiencepreferred, but not required. Will consider other similar complex, regulated industry and product/instrument experience.
- Leads explanations and clarifies information to enable proper interpretation and evaluation of the most complex specifications, performance characteristics or other technical data.
- Leads and designs communication of the most complex technical and commercial issues.
- Designs recommendations for the most complex new designs, new processes, or design changes to meet requirements.
- Leads project planning and customer/marketing support for major engineering areas.