Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Position Posting Title: Head of IT Operations
Specific Responsibilities & Skills
The Head of IT Operations will report directly to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and be responsible for overseeing functions including:
- Vendor Management: Oversees end-to-end vendor activities including understanding the intricacies of each technology, process, software, and tool being outsourced and driving appropriate sourcing strategy, relationship management, vendor landscape, renewal and pipeline management, negotiations, reporting and analytics, and performance management.
- Financial Management: Serves as key liaison to the Gilead Finance team on overall financial management for the IT organization to ensure accurate and cost-effective stewardship of the oversight of expenditures required to deliver IT products and services.
- Global Program Management Office: Manages risks and dependencies for all major programs, drives the portfolio planning process, owns IT tools for project execution, and drives alignment for execution to budget.
- IT Architecture: Owns documentation of the technology vision and direction for the enterprise including target-state architectures and roadmaps, appropriate application portfolio management, strategic governance of architecture reviews, software, and programs, and Business and IT technology alignment.
- IT Strategy: Drives the ongoing development, coordination, and execution of the integrated IT strategy including labor, investment choices, organizational priorities, and scorecards and dashboards as well as ensures governance and the definition of IT ways of working (for example, common methodologies, processes, and tools for developing and operating IT)
- Program and Organizational Change Management: Partners closely with CIO Chief of Staff to enable employee engagement, communication, and development for pan-IT organization.
- Performance Management: Plans and executes IT internal operations, coordinating the operational reviews and usage of operational metrics, cost to serve, managed services effectiveness, financial data and analytics to enhance organizational efficiency and scale of the IT organization.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
General responsibilities for this position will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Partners with the IT Leadership Team in providing technology vision and direction for the enterprise.
- Drives focus and prioritization within the IT organization through establishing strategic planning and governance principles and processes.
- Leads governance and execution of IT internal operations including mapping to strategy and dashboard measures.
- Facilitates operations and usage of a comprehensive set of IT metrics and financial details that paint a picture of where resources are allocated or consumed in an organized fashion to inform decision making (operational metrics, cost to serve, managed services effectiveness, financial data, and analytics).
- Oversees the development and maintenance of IT policies, procedures, methodologies, and governance — as well as performance management frameworks and metrics — to ensure the IT organization delivers value to the enterprise.
- Establishes and implements continuous improvement and operational excellence programs for the IT organization.
- Works with the IT Leadership Team providing broad insight to IT domains and capabilities in support of enterprise-wide business decisions.
- Stays current with developments in new market trends and innovations in technology and the leadership of enterprise IT and user experience.
- Is responsible for directing the preparation, review, and consolidation of business plans and budgets for the IT organization working closely with Finance.
- Regularly reviews IT costs and cost structures for IT services and products so that the financial implications of IT projects and activities are communicated to the proper IT and business executives.
- Oversees the management of strategic vendor and partnership relationships.
- Oversees IT workforce management, including the sourcing, training and development of staff, working closely with HR.
- Oversees the execution of high-impact, enterprise-wide, strategic programs, and initiatives.
- May assume full CIO responsibilities (or those responsibilities as directed) during the CIO's absence.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, business administration or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 15 or more years in IT and business/industry
- A minimum of 5-7 years of leadership responsibilities
- Experience in business/industry (beyond IT), managing cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders