The Head of Investments for The MassMutual Trust Company is responsible for the overall leadership and oversight of all investment related operations within the MassMutual Trust Company, including defining and implementing the investment philosophy and strategy; as well as promoting and explaining the value proposition of MassMutual Trust. The Head of Investments must have strong leadership and portfolio management experience; an ability to design new investment strategies; will have oversight of the investment philosophy and various mandates; as well as responsibility and oversight over various outside sub-advisors via the due diligence process. The ideal candidate will have direct experience managing fixed income and equity portfolios, solid analytical abilities, vast investment acumen and solid relationship management skills. This role requires a unique combination of deep investment and analytical skills with strong relationship management competencies.
This position reports to the Head of the MassMutual Trust Company. There is also a reporting relationship to the Investment Committee of the Board of Directors for the MassMutual Trust Company.
The responsibilities of the Head of Investments for The MassMutual Trust Company include, but are not limited to:
- Manage, lead and develop a team of 3-5 investment professionals
- Conduct in-depth product due diligence analysis for all investment products and outside managers that we currently work with or might add to the investment platform
- Prepare and assemble investment performance reports and attribution analysis etc., for submission and presentation to MM Trust's Investment Committee.
- Translate and communicate complex investment topics and financial market issues into simple language and nomenclature that can easily be absorbed by clients and financial advisors
- Prepare on-going monitoring and review of investments distributed through MM Trust Company. Communicate issues and risks that may affect the viability of the product, the relationship, or MM Trust Company clients
- Management and oversight of approximately 3,000 individual client accounts and $2.5 B in total client assets.
- Set and monitor investment objectives with sub-advisors and provide clear mandates.
- Obtain and monitor client investment strategies
- Investment advisor performance attribution,
- Client performance reporting and modeling,
- Document investment processes and client portfolio account suitability subject to regulatory requirements set forth by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)
- Ensure investment processes are in-line with MassMutual Trust Compliance and Legal requirements.
- Management and oversight of the Trust Company capital account.
- Review and approve potential new assets prior to account acceptance
- Respond to internal and field inquiries and provide support to MM Trust Company sales team as need arises. This may require travel for client meetings, or to present at MassMutual field events. (travel expected to be at about 15%)
- Conduct and host monthly/quarterly Investment Calls with invited advisors to provide an overview and perspective on current financial markets,
- Participate in presentations to our more sophisticated, high net-worth clients, prospects, attorneys and registered representatives. Travel may be required.
- Serve as Chairman of the MassMutual Trust Investment Committee
- Contribute as the Subject Matter Expert in the development of new investment programs offered by the MM Trust Company. Such assistance may include assisting in the design the program, drafting policies & procedures, implementing the program, and educating the field force and internal staff on attributes of program.
- Contribute to the development and on-going assessment of the investment product strategy and the product development process.
- Identify and drive changes in the investment strategies in order to improve profits/performance.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Experience directly managing Fixed Income or Equity portfolios
- Previous investment analysis, investment consulting or due diligence experience
- In depth knowledge of the financial details like accounts, analysis of financial statements, securities and stock market working and investment strategies
- Excellent knowledge of industry recognized computer applications (Morningstar, Bloomberg, etc) for analysis of data and preparation of investment plans using the latest technology
- Strong analytical ability
- Excellent managerial and leadership skills
- Solid presentation skills
- Ability to view all the available resources comprehensively and suggest the best way to use them to increase company profits
- Exceptional planning, analytical and execution skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creativity and the ability to think out of the box to formulate innovative strategies