The procurement function aims at enabling the Sanofi strategy by leveraging the supplier markets and delivering added value throughout operations performed within Central, Global, and Regional Units, pillars of its organization.
- The Central Unit is in charge of setting a vision and objectives aligned with the strategy of Sanofi and insuring function excellence by identifying and implementing the most advanced best practices in Resource Management, Sourcing, Process & System, Communication and Performance Analysis.
- Global Procurement Unit is in charge of designing and implementing the procurement strategies per category aligned with the business LRPs through a worldwide network of lead buyers and category managers.
- Regional Procurement Units is in charge of executing and implementing the global procurement strategies locally, developing active relationships with regional and local stakeholders, and contributing to the integration of newly acquired business.
These units have a common goal of business partnering, managed at strategic and operational levels, designed to set deep collaborative and innovative relationship with the business and central functions.
To boost procurement efficiency and performance, the Procurement organization fosters the right level of globalization through a category management oriented operating model leveraging the management of resources through competencies, localization, internal mobilities and talent development.
- To deliver sourcing solutions that meet the business needs
- To deliver operational clinical procurement i.e. RFIs, RFPs, contracts, work orders, change orders for clinical projects
- Gain alignment with the R&D organization in order to drive the success of projects across all of the businesses.
- The DPL head supports the Development Procurement Leaders (DPLs) to understand the critical project needs and connect any project outsourcing needs from S&C scope to the expert Global Lead Buyer.
- The DPL head set standards and expectations for DPLs in working with the Global Project Heads, Global Project Managers and Therapeutic Clinical Leads in CSO and Units)
- The DPL is responsible to guide and mentor DPLs in developing sourcing solutions and strategies with Business Partners with an emphasis on quality, speed, and cost efficiencies.
- Provide leadership and people management to the DPLs & Global Buyers around the world
- Ensure the sourcing solutions by compound meet the business needs
- Manage Development Procurement Leaders & Global Buyers. Serve as escalation point.
- Guide DPLs in development and implementation of study / compound sourcing strategies for the therapeutic area assigned
- Ensure harmony and consistency of DPLs across therapeutic areas
- Develop communication plan guidelines for DPLs and ensure each develops one with their key business contacts (GPHs, GPMs, CLs and PLs) to ensure common understanding of priorities and needs
- Identify best practices and opportunities to improve clinical procurement’s operational delivery
- Leverage Category Strategies set by the Global Lead Buyers
- Support Global Lead Buyers needs for operational procurement support
- Develop standards for engagement with Sanofi Alliance and Collaboration partners.
- Influence & drive the Sanofi business units to one global procurement strategy where appropriate
- Influence effectively at all levels of the organization including key stakeholders to ensure objectives are accomplished.
- Delivery of procurement processes & outputs on time
- Ensure high quality contract coverage & on time
- Resolution of vendor issues
Context of the job/major challenges
Support DPLs to align stakeholders with a harmonized global process for delivering business innovation and finance efficiency. This is particularly a challenge, as the DPL position works proactively with the GPHs, GPMs, CL and PLs upstream on development plans in order to leverage supplier expertise to deliver cost effective and/or fast outsourced solutions across programs. This requires the ability to combine a strategic vision with the tools to define concrete action plans and to ensure their implementation. Furthermore, it requires an open mind and focus with flexibility to effectively work with cross-functional and multicultural teams to manage changes for continuous process improvement and to drive results.
Lead the Collaborations and Partnerships across Regeneron, Alnylam and the other 10+ P&Cs in order to ensure Sanofi benefits from Sanofi’s strategies & pricing on studies conducted by our partners that Sanofi has a financial interest in
Reporting to this position: ~ 10 direct reports across several countries
- Close interaction with all relevant functions and operations under R&D, GMA, Genzyme, and Sanofi Pasteur is required. This includes all clinical-related functions and some business functions, such as but not limited to CSO-clinical operations, Legal, Finance, Corporate purchasing, IS, etc.
- Expand internal network to align with new company organization/needs.
- Engage with Alliance Managers and Finance controllers for Collaboration Partnerships
- Provide guidance and support to DPLs in leading key negotiations
- Any stakeholder having a business impact on clinical services: CROs, vendors, academics, consultants, collaboration partners, etc.
- Manage DPLs as key contributors who are accountable as strategic leaders within their therapeutic area and who are assigned to develop and implement sourcing strategies and drive execution of procurement activities.
- Work with DPLs to build concept of the DPL as the primary contact across enabling functions to meet the business partner needs.
- Work with Regional Heads to deliver a streamlined approach to contract negotiations and supplier management.
- Oversee and approve outsourcing plans for therapeutic areas for operational efficiency & results.
- Provide feedback to the GCMs on internal needs for market evaluation and business needs.
- Guide DPLs in negotiations with key suppliers for strategic therapeutic outsourcing programs.
Lead Competencies & Behaviors
- Translates agreed strategies into clear, tangible and actionable plans and initiatives.
- Defines and balances strategic priorities against immediate operational challenges.
Act for Change
- Looks for the opportunities that arise during times of change.
- Readily adapts to new environment, jobs, technologies and processes.
- Empowers teams to face challenges, make decisions and take action.
- Encourages collaboration and communication within and beyond the team.
Strive for Results
- Takes personal responsibility for achieving results.
- Reviews and evaluates progress against agreed targets, timelines and budgets.
- Learns – and provides opportunities for others to learn – from experience.
- Makes time to provide regular, fact based feedback for development.
- Develops and maintains effective cross-functional working relationships and partnerships.
- Responds positively and constructively to requests for support from across the organization.
- Takes responsibility for decisions and accepts accountability for results.
- Makes choices using sound judgment.
Commit to customers
- Strives to build mutually beneficial solutions and partnerships.
- Actively seeks customer feedback to identify opportunities for improvement and to gain insight to underlying needs.
- 15+years of relevant industryexperience, with a minimum of 10years inclinical operationsor clinical outsourcing / supplier management and / or project management in R&D, including:
- Management experience, demonstrated people management through matrix or direct reports
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the drug development process
- Strong leadership and project/portfolio management skills, including experience in leading global initiatives and in facilitating and initiating change as needed
- Experience in working with global and multicultural organizations
- Science/business university degree
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of the Sanofi CSO and R&D organizations
- Graduate degree
Experience / Skills Desired
- Demonstrated ability to network effectively
- Global view, systematic approach and detail-oriented individual with a focus on project execution, quality, efficiency and cost
- Ability to drive cost savings, process, and time efficiency outcomes
- Strong negotiation skills
- Clinical procurement and category knowledge
- Good understanding of finance, business, clinical operations, and legal aspects
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to deliver process efficiencies
- Flexible, receptive, resourceful, creative, and results oriented
- Effective, high-level communicator, good organizational skills, excellent presentation skills
- Able to navigate through a matrix organization
- Confident and capable in interacting with key stakeholders and vendors (VPs, CSO Heads, & CEOs from suppliers)
- Courageous in identifying and implementing new solutions
- Ability to process complex scenarios and apply the necessary strategy efficiently
- Influential management, ability to convince and persuade others regarding appropriate solutions
- Ethics, integrity, and clarity
- Experience in managing cross-functional teams (direct management experiencepreferred)
- Experienced and confident in managing complex and undefined business situations
- Strategic and innovative approach for business solutions while in compliance with external and internal policies
- Ability to build relationships and manage expectations with key internal clients and external suppliers with multicultural teams
- Excellence in execution of projects