Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
The Head of General Ledger Transformation is a newly created role that will be responsible for the successful transformation/upgrade of the MassMutual enterprise accounting general ledger on the SAP platform. The person in this position will lead a team and report directly to the Corporate Controller.
Reports to: Corporate Controller
Other Relationships: Senior leadership within CFO, Controllers Organization and the business
- Build, lead and manage a team responsible for an upgrade of our enterprise accounting ledger
- Guides the team in establishing effective governance and key timelines, milestones and deliverables for successful initiative execution
- Coordinate and collaborate across Finance, enterprise technology, internal audit, enterprise risk, other business units and external audit, as appropriate
- Develop strong and effective partnerships with key vendor contacts as well as implementation partners
- Propose optimal configurations for operational accounting activities within the general ledger to meet business unit reporting requirements as well as external regulatory filings and other audit requirements
- Understand how data flow through the financial systems to the accounting function, planning appropriately for changes and prioritizing and implementing enhancements.
- Establish and enhance governance and internal control procedures and maintain and consistently improve upon a strong control environment
- Collaborate and partner with other MassMutual business units and corporate functions to map the accurate, timely and efficient submission of data required to meet financial reporting requirements
- Collaborate closely with other Controllers teams, such as the financial close team and external reporting to ensure the accurate recognition of accounting for various transactions and events
- Collaborate with accounting policy and other areas within the Controllers Organization on the evaluation of new GAAP and statutory reporting impacts to the company; assisting in the implementation of new business financial reporting processes on the operational aspects of accounting recognition
- BS in accounting or finance; MBA or equivalent preferred
- Certified Public Accountant
- 10-15 years of relevant experience from public accounting and/or public multinational companies in the insurance industry
- Excellent knowledge of the SAP general ledger and related configuration opportunities for a complex financial institution
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of US GAAP and insurance statutory accounting and financial reporting regulations
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with senior management and influence decision making
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to adapt to change
- Ability to proactively take ownership of projects and drive them through to completion
- Experience working in a Finance transformational setting; driving change and managing competing priorities
- Ability to assess alternative configuration options within the general ledger, given regulatory and business reporting requirements and make comprehensive recommendations for optimal set up
- Use increasing insight to identify and implement improvements that increase the business value and efficiency of the work performed. Initiates and/or leads increasingly complex projects and continuous improvement activities that may span beyond the scope of own team's responsibilities
- Experience in best-in-class control execution/documentation
- Detail-oriented with demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with all levels of personnel, from staff to executive management
- Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future
- Travel between Boston and Springfield required
Why Join Us.
We’ve been around since 1851. During our history, we’ve learned a few things about making sure our customers are our top priority. In order to meet and exceed their expectations, we must have the best people providing the best thinking, products and services. To accomplish this, we celebrate an inclusive, vibrant and diverse culture that encourages growth, openness and opportunities for everyone. A career with MassMutual means you will be part of a strong, stable and ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits. And your voice will always be heard.
Recognized as a 2019 World’s Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere, MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.