- Lead the company's research operations directed toward pipeline expansion.
- Be an active member of the Senior Management team with responsibility for assisting the CMO in developing and implementing the Company's research strategy.
- Drive and direct scientific research through successful pre-IND and IND enabling studies.
- Ensure continued scientific support for product candidates as they move through pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- Responsible for multiple projects, developing and orchestrating timelines and meeting milestones to achieve company's goals and milestones.
- Assist the Business Development team in the assessment and evaluation of external technologies and product candidate opportunities.
- Develop and manage a budget for external research activities.
- Manage a network of external experts and foster excellence in work and partnership.
- A demonstrated successful track record of driving multiple research candidates from discovery to development candidate nomination.
- Demonstrated successful track record in building, leading and managing scientific teams.
- Demonstrated ability to align scientific focus and research operations with evolving corporate objectives and strategic priorities.
- Hands on management and involvement in all aspects of a research & development organization's day-to-day operations along with success and proven experience developing, executing and maintaining a budget.
- Integrity and Accountability: High ethical standards, integrity and strength of character in his/her personal and professional dealings and a willingness to act upon and be accountable for his/her decisions.
- Informed Judgement: Demonstrates intelligence, wisdom and thoughtfulness in decision-making. Demonstrates a willingness to thoroughly discuss issues, ask questions, express reservations and voice dissent.
- Mature Confidence: Assertive, responsible and supportive in dealing with others. Respect for others, openness to others' opinions and the willingness to listen.
- High Standards: History of achievements that reflect high standards for himself/herself and others.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience:
- M.D., Ph.D., or M.D./Ph.D.
- 15 or more years of experience in research.
- Gene therapy product design, evaluation, and pre-clinical development.
- Deep working knowledge of biology relevant to gene therapy.
- Animal models of genetic disease.
- Rare Disease.
- Recognized deep biological expertise and innovative record of research in a relevant therapeutic area.
- Established national and international scientific reputation.
- Demonstrated track record of high impact publications.
- Record of team leadership including change management experience.
- Clearly communicate and articulate the vision and strategy to stakeholders and regularly report on portfolio progress.
- Proven entrepreneurial mindset.