We are true believers in electronic sports, so don’t be surprised if you see us playing mobile games at our desks or in the kitchen. At Skillz, this type of behavior is encouraged! You can also catch us at our weekly game nights playing anything from Starcraft to Cranium over dinner, while discussing new technologies or brainstorming ideas to improve our business.
Not a “gamer”? Don’t worry about it. Every Skillzian brings a unique perspective to the team, and we bond over plenty of activities that don’t involve games. We’re working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission. As the creators and leaders of a new marketplace, we work with a “do whatever it takes” mentality, and frankly, we get the job done!
Our team is comprised of passionate, intelligent and creative individuals who consistently seek out new challenges and knowledge. We embrace out-of-the-box strategies to propel our business forward, and foster a culture where every person’s voice is heard. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of funding, building and selling successful enterprises. If you're up for the challenge, we’d love to meet you.
What you'll do:
- Create and lead a cross-functional team of game designers to evolve the world's first mobile cash tournament platform for iOS/Android game development studios with hundreds of games.
- Define the next generation of mobile gaming.
- Collaborate with teammates who care about building great products as much as you do, particularly the developer relations and product management team.
- Providing editorial commentary on game related SDK features.
- Demonstrate ability to manage game designers and interns.
- Define standards, GDDs and other documentation and to create best design practices on the Skillz platform.
- Work with Developer Relations to manage third party relationships, particularly with established game studios.
- 8+ years of game design experience in software, including at least 3 years of mobile game design and production experience. Strong preference for live service experience.
- Skilled at guiding the product development process: ideation, wireframing, design and implementation.
- Able to collate idea streams from across all stakeholders to drive future design.
- Systems design experience, including economy, levelling and equivalent game design tasks.
- Strong analytical bent- ideally, experience working closely with product managers to optimize live services in areas such as first time user experience, live service event optimization, and d1/d7/d30/d180 retention.
- Computer Science degree or Technical background is a major plus, including time as a scripter.
- Experience with 3rd party development is a plus.
- Experience as a game producer is also a plus.