Head of Engineering
11 - 15 years experience • Real Estate
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Agentology provides lead qualification as a service. We are 100% human powered and enabled with tech to engage leads within 2 minutes, 24/7 via SMS, Phone, and Email, at a fraction of the cost of hiring a traditional inside sales rep. Think of it as “Uber for Sales Reps” where we have a distributed network of “Concierges” ready and enabled to engage with leads from all sources, on-demand. Our users are all currently real estate agents and brokerage firms where we have helped them 2x-3x conversion rates on the same leads they were already buying.
Our Why: “Enabling businesses to create human connections with their online customers.” Consumers go onto companies’ websites; they get all excited about the product or company, they reach out… then they typically have to wait hours, if not days to get a response from a real human; and that sucks. Technology has been great for businesses and consumers, but it’s also eroded the human connection many businesses used to have. Response time actually matters. In fact, leads that are responded to within 5 min are 21X more likely to convert into a paying customer. We’re solving this problem, and our first customers are real estate agents.
Real estate agents spend $15B a year on online lead gen. Half of those leads are never responded to, and that’s where we come in. Agentology responds to online leads when a real estate agent can’t. We do the full lead qualification to find out what’s the lead’s budget, what’s their timeline, and score them to identify the hottest leads.
Agentology has built software to streamline and transform the process for our Concierges to engage with leads. And the more conversations our Concierges have, the more intelligent our software becomes. AI will play a huge role in the future of our software. We believe in human assisted AI, not to replace humans, but to complement them and enable them to be super human.
• Founded: 2014
• Headquarters: 750 B St., Suite 1630, San Diego, CA 92101
• Venture Backed: Most recent round led by Freestyle VC- Raised $5.3M to date
• Recent Press: TechCrunch, Inman
• Market Size: $15B spend online in Real Estate alone
• Customers: 30,000 real estate agents on our platform, in every major market across the country, and Canada
• Revenue: On track to hit 8 figures in 2018.
- Voted 2017 Best Places To Work in San Diego
- Voted 2017 Most Admired CEO Award
- Voted 2017 Top 10 Fastest Growing Companies in San Diego
This is a rare opportunity for an engineering leader to join a high-growth service platform, employing machine learning and messaging technology and AI dynamics to create a massive global business. Agentology has clear product-market fit within an industry ripe for disruption, and this is the chance to have a seat at the table leading the technicalstrategy of the company. To date, our technology team has been very small (3-5 people) with (5 people outsourced), and you will have the opportunity to own and build this team essentially from the ground up.
Position reports to Co-Founders (President & CEO): Avi Tal & David Tal
As the Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for setting the technical vision and pace for the company. The core responsibility of this position is to set a vision (and build a team) for where Agentology will be in 1-2 years. You must communicate upward (CEO and Board), inward (Peers and Engineering Team), and outward (Industry Partners and Customers). You will have responsibility for translating that vision into the Company’s technical roadmap and building or integrating products/platforms that appropriately balance the need for speed-to-market, scalability, and differentiation.
You will be responsible for setting the culture and cadence for the engineering team, fostering a strong culture, increasing product velocity, and achieving schedule predictability as the company moves forward with their aggressive growth targets.
This is a player-coach role requiring deep technical expertise as well as leadership and mentorship of the teams.
Core aspects of the role include...
• Maintain and continuously improve the current solutions to handle the massive scale.
• Introduce new solutions for their core customer segment (eg: mobile apps, marketplace features).
• Lead and build a group of incredibly smart developers.
• Set a timeline for how Agentology’s engineering org/process can evolve.
• Determine prioritization and resource allocation of current roadmap, while also creating a roadmap of your own.
• Manage distributed global teams to the highest production rate, while steadily working on building an engineering team / culture in the San Diego office.
• Wake up every morning concerned whether Agentology has absolutely the best engineering team and process possible.
• Stay on the forefront of the latest technology stacks (currently PHP / SQLdatabase), while balancing scalability and stability.
• Shape and nurture a culture of openness, excellence, ingenuity, and passion as Agentology continues to scale.
More detailed tactical / strategic aspects of the role include...
• Owning Agentology technologystrategy by maintaining the technology roadmaps and continually assessing the build vs. buy vs. partner options. Working with stakeholders to develop requirements, ascertain priorities, and report progress. Be held accountable for maintaining a roadmap that will continue to balance the need for innovation and ability to deliver.
• Day-to-day management of the Agentology platform including the technology infrastructure, architecture, design, testing, implementation, and maintenance efforts with a focus on optimizing performance and scalability. Work closely with the executive team on the selection and interdependencies of programming languages, frameworks, and infrastructure to scale the Agentology technology platform (currently PHP/SQL).
• Application development is a massive part of the role. The technology group will build customer solutions from CRM systems, a communication platform, matching algorithms, mobile and social solutions, customer care automation and AI, and extension into new services/features.
• Recruiting, hiring, developing, and growing an incredible technology team committed to developing innovative solutions aligned with the company’s business model, values and vision. Implement an effective organizational structure that balances process, accountability and scalability with product velocity and innovation as Agentology continues to scale. Set a 2-year timeline of how the company can evolve. Continually re-task and re-structure team for the most effective roles.
• Establishing engineering processes for software development metrics, quantitative techniques and quality control. “Keeping the trains running on time” is a function of good project management that includes transparency, holding people accountable, and looking for problems early.
• Managing the software development life cycle by collaborating with Project Management and other departments to evolve SDLC including functional requirements analysis, design specification, technical code review, project planning, and implementation of applications- systems. Work with engineering team to further develop core technology, including active participation in the design / architecture of new solutions, and the refinement of existing code.
• Managing trade-offs, and prioritization based on time, cost, & quality. Factoring in what Agentology (and the industry) is technically capable of doing well.
• Managing the selection and interdependencies of programming languages, frameworks, operating systems, internet-cloud, web-application servers, relational databases, and mobile.
• Breaking the platform down into versions thus allowing a more effective fluid development.
• Providing thought leadership and being a visionary about what it takes to be the winner in an incredibly large and attractive market with complex technology needs.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
• 10+ years progressive engineeringexperience; 4+ years managing teams.
• Proven ability to set a vision of where Agentology (demonstrated by your impact at past companies) will be in 2-5 years and set in place the systems-level thinking to get there.
• Experience with building large scale, service oriented systems. Serving a multitude of software clients, optimizing for performance and quality in both operational and developer performance.
• Past experience leading an engineering team focused on goal setting, product development, software development, quality and release to empower teams, scale development and removal of single points of failure.
• We are looking for a hands-on leader, not just a manager. While we would not expect you to code, you need to be very technical and be able to run code reviews, hire all levels of developers and construct the team from the deepest foundation.
• Experience building technology for secure environments that contain sensitive information (eg: consumer profiles, credit cards, etc.).
• You must have full stack experience across both web and mobile.
• You must be exceptional at identifying and breaking down problems to find unique solutions.
• Experience with a broad range of systems, API's, protocols, and standards.
• Experience working with industry standard testing and code quality frameworks.
• Ability to work with (potentially oversee) a data science team. Technologies include data warehousing platform, reporting tools, workload scheduling system; and implementing ETL to load data. You must have skills with management of large database, customer segmentation and transformation of data into actionable insights.
• Solid understanding of the project lifecycle processes including: initiation, requirements gathering, analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, contemporary testing methodologies, and deployment management.
• EDUCATION: Undergraduatedegree in Computer Science (or similar) is required; Advanced degreepreferred.
• Hands on. You don’t just want to manage, but you want to actively participate in all levels of building the technology and applications.
• Mission driven. You believe in Agentology’s mission and attack everything through the mindset of achieving it.
• Execution Focused. Apolitical, driven by technical objectives and/or pride in work, but not personal aggrandizement.
• Motivator. You are both self-motivated and great at motivating others. You don’t wait to be told what to do, and if you see something that needs to be done you act.
• High integrity. You know right from wrong and are fully invested in doing the right thing at all times. You keep your word, follow through, and do what you say you will do. Don’t cut corners ethically, and always do what is right as opposed to what’s simply convenient.
• Team Player. Collaborative, hardworking, problem-solver who leads by example. You could never ask anyone to do something you are not willing to do yourself.
• Empathetic. You can feel the heartbeat of the organization. Others trust you and share with you.
• Entrepreneurial. You think outside the box; you can do more with less; you are resourceful and fiscally responsible in the pursuit of business objectives.
• Flexible. You adapt as situations change, and are comfortable with ambiguity and constant change.
• Curious. You have a deep willingness to learn, realize that no one knows everything, and you are comfortable with that and willing to put the work in to acquire new skills as needed.
• Big-Picture Thinking. You are always exploring and evaluating new ideas and processes that make the organization better.