The Head of Engineering will scale our technology function and systems. This role will involve leading and continuing to build out a team. Key responsibilities are as follows.
- Shape technology strategy and systems. Our rapid growth requires us to continuously improve and adapt our organization. This could mean thinking through our team structure as we scale, putting in place effective engineering practices with the team, or partnering with Product on the vision for how technology enables our programs in brick and mortar and virtual classrooms. You will drive the long-term strategy to help us scale and spearhead execution as we get ready for whatever is ahead.
- Own and operationalize engineering and architectural approach. This role will be responsible for formalizing our architecture company-wide (across brands and global markets incl. US, China, Hong Kong, etc.). You will go from big-picture principles down into the nitty gritty of driving technical decisions on how we build and scale our platforms (incl. tools built in-house, 3rd party software licenses, and integrations to bring the pieces together).
- Shape the thinking on technical talent development and career paths. With a recent acquisition of a SaaS platform and team, we more and more need to think about career paths and professional development for technology profiles. You will formalize our principles here and put this into practical action, including ownership of our technical hiring approach, people management, etc.
- Lead and build a high-performing team. The Head of Engineering will pick up reporting responsibility for our Engineering function (about ~15 people and counting) and will have the opportunity to build this team. You will shape the operating model and team structure and drive hiring.
We’d love to talk to you if you have…
- 10+ years’ experience in Engineering preferably in a fast-growing company with 5+ years’ experience managing teams
- Experience at a business strategy level (e.g., identify a business problem and partner cross-functionally to figure out the right technology solution, evaluate build vs. buy options, etc.)
- Drive to build something, including a propensity to constantly look at processes to find ways to make them more efficient, collaborative, and scalable
- Deep knowledge and experience with engineering practices, iterative software development methodologies, continuous delivery, etc.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, incl. ability to assess a situation by gathering facts and evaluating data