Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location. As Head of Developer Relations, you will be responsible for both identifying key priorities to engage and grow our developer base and improve the overall experience of developers who work with our platform. You’re a great leader to your team and have experience with managing and growing world-class, diverse teams. You’ll be working closely together with our engineering and product teams, support team, sales engineering, marketing, PR, and other business teams to strategically drive developer adoption in verticals like logistics & transportation, consumer, and business intelligence & analytics. You’re curious and understand that a deep understanding of the problem space and market of our customers is critical to be a good partner to external developers.
What You'll Do
- Build blueprints for outreach and programs in products and markets, and help your team of evangelists to increase their audience and effectiveness, connecting developer relations and our business goals.
- Help set priorities for the team and coach team members to grow in their role.
- Leverage other Mapbox developers to increase audience and drive adoption.
- Identify interesting markets for developer growth and develop technical storylines and messaging in the form of blog posts,(digital) courses,(digital) books, training programs, accelerators, webinars, documentation, demo’s, and presentations.
- Write technical content for our blog, documentation and other channels to show developers how to implement specific solutions or use new technologies.
- Technical presentations at conferences, user groups, and events about Mapbox and our tools.
- Reach out pro-actively to promising developers early in development to guide them in getting the most value out of Mapbox-specific features like Runtime Styling, Data Driven Styling, custom navigation, offline, and heatmaps.
- Build technical curriculums that align with our strategic business goals. Create interactive courses and study-materials for development bootcamps, in-company trainings, and online courses hosted by Mapbox or major education marketplaces.
- Prepare demos and examples for conferences, events, and provide our business teams with the best examples of Mapbox technology for in-person demos.
- Set up partnerships with startup accelerators to help startups solve location challenges and sponsor them with Mapbox credits.
- Redefine, prioritize, and expand all the above, based on your experience, and our business goals, community, positioning, and team.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience building an industry-leading developer relations program and the excitement to grow this team from the ground up at Mapbox.
- Solid and diverse engineering skills with a finger on the pulse of current development technologies across several platforms, and demonstrated leadership and service in developer communities.
- Friendly and approachable people do well as the teachers and mentors we're looking for; you should be excited to engage with new people and build communities
- Confident speaker and experienced teacher that can explain difficult technical concepts and make them compelling to an audience.
- Willingness to travel to where our developer communities live a few times every quarter, as well as to different Mapbox offices.
- Entrepreneurial thinking and the ability to act effectively with only high-level direction.
- Technical writing skills as demonstrated via blog posts and other written work.
What We Value
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.