Head of Design
Home improvement is an industry stuck in the past. From tape measured estimates to back-of-the-napkin proposals and high-pressure sales tactics, it can be a painful experience. We’re changing the industry (for consumers and professionals alike) with a product that gives anyone with a smartphone access to detailed measurements and powerful design features for virtually any building in the world (check out a demo here).
We’ve found an incredibly strong product-market fit and have built partnerships with some of the best in the industry, but we’re just getting started. The breadth of applications for a scaled, accurate, and interactive digital model of any home in the world are too long to list here, but we’re already actively engaged in our second major market opportunity beyond home improvement.
As we scale our business, we’re looking for a hands-on, product-minded designer to lead all things design at HOVER: from product, marketing, brand/identity, to (most importantly) how design is woven into our day-to-day culture across the company. We have a well-rounded team of 3 designers that you will be responsible for mentoring, coaching, and growing.
WHO YOU ARE
This is a critical role for us, and we’ve set our sights high. Here are a few attributes that an ideal candidate will have:
You roll up your sleeves
Everyone from our Founder/CEO down is a doer, and this role is no exception. You are comfortable being a ‘player/coach,’ leading by example while also up-leveling your team in their day-to-day execution and process.
You are curious
You don’t have to know what fascia or soffit is on Day 1, but you’re fascinated and excited by the prospect of learning something entirely new and can learn quickly.
You thrive in chaos
We’re an early growth-stage startup where things can change daily. Ideally you have worked in similar situations in the past and are itching to get back to that small company environment where you can move fast again.
You are empathetic
Our customers don’t live in San Francisco, and they don’t sit in front of a computer all day. But the prospect of designing for non-techies is exciting for you, and you can’t wait to immerse yourself in their day-to-day with the ultimate goal of designing and building products they will use and love.
YOU SHOULD HAVE
- 10+ years’ experience designing products, applications and design systems across web and mobile platforms, with at least 5+ years as a senior design leader building and managing a team. This is a senior role.
- An eye for world-class visual and interaction design, an uncompromising attitude towards quality, and the ability to voice your point of view in a collaborative approach.
- The ability to attract exceptional people and inspire them to do their best work.
WE HOPE YOU HAVE
- A strong mix of consumer and B2B design experience delivered at scale.
- A passion for 3D (including AR / VR) and a deep appreciation for how it can revolutionize the way our world works.
- Proficiency in the use of data and analytics and fluency in the software development lifecycle.