Define the long-term lending data science modeling roadmap at Kabbage: driving adoption of best practices in lending data science and providing vision to bring in the latest developments in statistical modeling, optimization techniques, and machine learning methods.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead a bold agenda around the use of transaction data in new, creative ways.
- Develop and mentor a team of data scientists to move the agenda forward.
- Collaborate with Product to develop new use cases and expand the business in new directions.
- Collaborate with Engineering to design the optimal data architecture for a new scale platform.
- Represent the Data Science team in meeting with external partners and clients.
- Build and launch the data foundations of our new products.
What we're looking for in you:
- Intelligence: Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand. Both IQ and EQ are important in this role.
- Communication: Must be personable. Must be comfortable in discussions with C-level executives. Must be amiable without conceding Kabbage’s position. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including email.
- Ability to develop people: Coaches peoples in their current roles to improve performance, and prepares them for future roles.
- Attention to detail: Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Analytical skills: Must be able to structure the logical approach to engage the partners in an impressive way that demonstrates to the partner that they made the right choice in choosing Kabbage.
- Organization and planning: Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Creativity: Able to think about traditional questions in a creative way to find new solutions given new data or circumstances.
- Proactivity: Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Accountability: Ultimate success for partner's continued growth and engagement lies on this role
What you should have:
- Experience as a data scientist, with a background (MS or PhD preferred) in machine learning, statistics, bioinformatics, signal processing or related field.
- Experience leading, hiring and managing a team.
- Ability to successfully collaborate across key senior internal (Engineering, Technology, Product) and external clients.
- Ability to communicate quantitative and technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Proven ability to prioritize and drive product-centric machine learning efforts across a geographically distributed team of data scientists and engineers.
- Bias towards results, with sound judgment and pragmatism.
- Strong background/experience with ETL, data mining, statistical analysis, data processing with very large amounts of data.
- Strong business acumen and ability to see the impacts of data at a very high level.
- Strong intuition, ability to advocate for and ability to dig deep into data.
- You know how to move data around, from a database or an API, through a transformation or two, a model and into human-readable form (ROC curve, Excel chart, map, d3 visualization, Tableau, etc.).
- You probably know Python, Java, R, Storm, Julia, SQL, Matlab, Mahout, or think everything can be done in a Perl one-liner.
- Big, undefined problems and petabytes don't frighten you.