Whip Media Group is hiring a Head of Data Engineering - based out of our Santa Monica office - to act as the primary driver of all data engineering initiatives for the organization.You will be joining a dynamic fast-paced environment and work with cross-functional teams to design, build and develop data-driven solutions that drive the company and our clients forward.
The ideal candidate is a player/coach and has significant experience leading a small group of engineers that work across business intelligence, analytics, data science, and data products. You must have strong, hands-on technical expertise in a variety of technologies including Python, Kafka, Spark, and Kubernetes as well as the proven ability to fashion robust, scalable solutions for our clients.
What will you do?
- Lead large scale projects that integrate our data and machine learning applications into both enterprise and consumer facing products (e.g. our flagship DemandIQ integration, proprietary NN architectures, etc.)
- Act as a player/coach hiring for and leading a team of ~4 data engineers as well as providing thought leadership and leading best practice solutions for the team.
- Take lead in driving a culture of high quality, innovation, and incremental experimentation.
- Has a knack of using flexible and scalable methodologies that can be applied to a broad set of problems across the Data Engineering organization.
- Provide strong thought leadership and set processes that lead to good implementation architecture.
- Continuously improve and further enhance existing ETL and streaming systems
- Implement reliable and efficient systems spanning technologies like Spark and Kafka
What do you need?
- Minimum 6+ years working in formal engineering environments and 2+ years working on and leading large scale data projects
- 3+ years of team management experience
- Experience with technologies like Kafka, Spark, and Kubernetes
- Knowledge about how to automate ETL with scheduling systems, e.g., Airflow, etc.
- Minimum 3 years of working in Python
- Deep understanding about technical debt in data systems
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing large scale data projects from basic requirements
- Extensive experience in maintaining key data systems over long periods of time
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics or a related technical field
- Startup experience, a plus