Our compliance team plays a critical role in mitigating risk and protecting Upstart’s growth and success, and as Head of Compliance - Partnerships and Monitoring at Upstart, you will have a tremendous impact on this critical team. Someone that is successful in this role will partner in change and apply innovative and creative solutions in re-defining policies and improving practices. You’ll develop relationships of trust within the organization so that your role is a value add for the business unit. You’ll be an integral part of the conversation when new products or processes are developed versus getting involved after the fact. If you have previous compliance management experience and share our passion for consumer protection this could be the role for you.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Engage with Upstart counsel on regulatory change management initiatives
- Perform compliance risk assessments and develop action plans to mitigate risks
- Maintain up to date compliance policies
- Manage employee compliance training program
- Interface with investors, partners, and regulators during audits and exams
- Oversee testing and monitoring program
- Maintain, review, and operationalize compliance program to adequately address the needs of a consumer credit business, using data and technology whenever possible to efficiently implement policies, procedures, and monitoring activities.
- Maintain a deep and up-to-date knowledge of Upstart’s current and future product offerings, and compliance related issues that could face Upstart.
- Regularly report to senior management on compliance issues, recommendations, and progress
What we’re looking for:
- 7+ years compliance or regulatory experience in consumer lending with proven knowledge of consumer protection regulation including working knowledge of applicable laws including; ECOA, FCRA, TILA, EFTA, GLBA, AML/OFAC, and related state laws
- Prior experience in operationalizing a compliance program including developing and testing procedures, training, and managing third party relationships
- Superior communication, organization, project management, and interpersonal skills with demonstrated decision-making capability while dealing with competing interests
- Self-starter mentality with the ability to work well under pressure and a strong sense of personal accountability and ownership
- Strong commitment to ethics and exercises good judgment.
- Adaptable and flexible to changing priorities and situations
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and take on new evolving responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience