Interested in leading software teams that are on the forefront of new business endeavors for Earth's leading cloud computing company? Would you enjoy broad yet equally deep scope that impacts all AWS systems globally? Are you up for leading the software teams that improve the health of the cloud?
What do we do: Our software teams develop the platforms and tools that ensure the health of AWS hardware by testing every new and rebuilt system across all AWS data centers.
What you will do: You will have the opportunity to lead the teams that build, refactor, upgrade, and scale distributed software systems for AWS Vetting. You lead the long term strategy, budgeting, and challenging technical/business tradeoffs. You regularly work with senior AWS leadership to plan for the future.
Why it's high-impact: Our systems ensure that AWS customers can get the capacity they need and to run their applications on healthy hardware.
What's the challenge: Our space is fast-moving, and has a large number of ambiguous and difficult challenges. You will have teams of highly skilled software developers, support from your leadership, and you'll own your space. You will be responsible for identifying solutions, trying ideas, given space to fail and iterate to produce products that your customers love.
Who would succeed in this role: Deeply technical leaders, who stay close to the customer as well as the architecture and design. A leader of leaders who can coach their team on developing systems at scale and who reaches out across the company to enlist input from key engineers to leverage the experience of the broader team. A person who dives deep in to a problem to deeply understand how things work, when to make subtle change, and when to disrupt the status quo to achieve the right results.
• Create roadmap responsible for designing and developing innovative software and hardware solutions for AWS's Directed Work team.
• Lead and direct a multi-functional engineering team that develops and integrates hardware, software, and network technology to satisfy customer requirements and deliverables.
• Effectively mentor and manage a team of software development managers and developers including their projects and performance\u2028
• Deliver project roadmap on-time, communicating clearly with team, management and stakeholders
• Drive operational excellence
• Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions
• Argue for the right outcomes with data, conviction and diplomacy
Amazon is a committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• BS in Computer Science or related technical field
• 10+ years of software development experience
• 5+ years of management experience
• 2+ years of managing software development managers
• Track record of building, delivering, and operating mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
• MS or PhD in computer science or related technical field
• Experience driving large scale, distributed software development projects from inception to delivery.
• Experience designing large scale systems
• Experience creating and building autonomous software teams who can operate independently.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Valid through: 11/10/2021