Head Men’s Basketball Coach
Buena Vista University, an NCAA Division III institution and founding member of the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, is accepting applications for the position of Head Men’s Basketball Coach. Responsibilities include the overall successful development, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the men’s basketball program. Specifically, developing and conducting in-season training and strategy, recruiting student-athletes, assisting with the academic success of the student-athletes, managing the program’s fiscal budget, and supervising the assistant coaches. Applicants should possess a strong coaching background and demonstrated success recruiting and retaining student-athletes. A background check will be conducted on the final candidate.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4 years of experience coaching at the high school/collegiate level
- Master’s degree preferred
- 5 years of successful coaching experience
- Previous head coaching experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to make sound administrative decisions. Plan and direct athletic skill development for the basketball student-athletes.
- Recruit student-athletes in accordance with the mission of Buena Vista University, the NCAA and the goals of the basketball program.
- Monitor student-athlete academic performance and implement team, athletics department, and University measures to support their academic performance.
- Successful fundraising experience.
- Successfully work in conjunction with university personnel to retain student-athletes at the institution.
- Advise student-athletes and staff of applicable intercollegiate athletic rules, regulations, and University policies and ensure compliance of such regulations.
- Evaluate the performance of the assistant coaches.
- Work within budgetary guidelines established by the Director of Athletics.
- Cooperate with University Athletic Trainers to ensure student-athletes receive proper medical attention and physical training services.
- Coordinate all activities in preparation for scheduled competition.
- Work with the Director of Athletics on the selection and scheduling of team contests.
- Work with alumni student groups, University administration, and community groups to seek support for the team.
- Lead and attend team practices and home/away contests.
- Attend appropriate athletics departmental staff meetings.
- Assist the Director of Athletics in resolving cases where a student-athlete violates an applicable regulation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.