Google's custom-designed machines make up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Hardware Testing Engineering team ensures that this cutting-edge equipment is reliable. In the R&D lab, you design test equipment for prototypes of our machinery and develop the protocols used to scale these tests for the entire global team. Working closely with design engineers, you give input on designs to improve our hardware until you're sure it meets Google's standards of quality and reliability.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Define test plans for automated/scripted tests to validate hardware product performance in accordance with product requirements and specifications, ensuring robust coverage of all low-level hardware circuits, interfaces, and functionality.
- Develop test procedures for both general qualification and targeted testing of device under tests (DUT) using automated/scripted test as part of a larger automation suite and execute hardware qualification tests in testing of complex server, network, and optical hardware.
- Launch and monitor scripts to control custom hardware, automate testing, perform data acquisition and strive for efficiency and effectiveness in test execution, data gathering, reduction and reporting. Collect and analyze aggregated data to enable data-driven engineering decisions during hardware research and development; report on findings, reduce test data, and investigate test outcomes thoroughly down to a hardware-interface or component level.
- Provide organization for large data sets, as well as detailed and high level summaries. Support the test work of hardware design engineers and other test engineers as part of a lab test engineering team and participate in design reviews and work closely with hardware designers and SW/FW/diagnostics development teams to understand new project architectures and system components.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in an engineering lab environment.
- Experience developing/scripting in shell or Python for hardware validation/test. Experience with operating bench test equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, network analyzers, etc. for electrical validation or troubleshooting.
- Experience with hardware interfaces (e.g. I2C, SPI, JTAG, MDIO) and experience working in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience developing for and working with automated test suites.
- Experience in supporting, implementing and/or designing networks.
- Expertise in bench level hardware validation using complex test equipment.
- Expertise in Python development.