Google isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As a Hardware Operations Manager, you will manage a team of Operations Assemblers and Operations Engineers. You will oversee the quality installation of server hardware and components and take charge of complicated installations/troubleshooting.
Your team will install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). They will also take on the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. They may lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Take responsibility for the management and implementation of multiple projects for your team.
- Ensure data center related priorities are consistent with company objectives.
- Oversee the computing hardware and networking operations of a data center site.
- Hire, coach and develop a team of managers and technical staff to meet objectives.
- Work with others to set and implement short term and long term strategy for the site. Identify problems and create solutions for computing and networkarchitecture.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 1 year of management experience.
- Strong understanding of technical concepts of a computing infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of HVAC and power requirements for high-availability data centers.
- Strong understanding of networks and PC hardware architecture including maintenance and repair.
- Demonstrated strategic problem solving skills.