Hardware Engineer Lead, Electrical Systems Integration, Wearables
Our computational challenges are so big, complex and unique we can't just purchase off-the-shelf hardware, we've got to make it ourselves. Your team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google's services. As a Hardware Engineer Lead, you will lead system design, development and deployment of next-generation consumer hardware products. You are comfortable with specifying electricalarchitecture and with creating schematics. But just as importantly, you have a broad, cross-functional understanding of the disciplines involved in shipping a hardware product.
You will work with Google's product management team to assess viability and tradeoffs for new product features. You will be paired with a program manager, who will outline a program timeline and resource plan.Once the product is defined, you will lead the cross-functional engineering team (i.e., Electrical Engineering, Product Development, Instructional Designer, and etc.) through architecture, component selection, prototyping, validation and mass production release. You will be responsible for resolving technical conflicts between teams, managing cost and ensuring good Design for Excellence (DFX).
As the technical voice for the program, you will be the interpreter who helps teams understand each others' constraints, and you will also represent the team when engineering topics are discussed with senior management.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Hardware team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Assess technical feasibility of new product features and concepts.
- Lead detailed design of electricalarchitecture and schematics.
- Lead cross-functional hardware engineering teams.
- Represent cross-functional hardware team in executive management reviews.
- Own engineering cost, performance DFX and overall execution for a product.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Electronic or Computer Engineering or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 7 years of relevant work experience in embedded/mobile system design, hardware architecture, board design, board bring-up, product NPI experience and hardware product shipment.
- Experience leading architecture and schematic design of circuit boards, including chipset, memory, high-speed communication interfaces and power.
- MS in Electrical, Electronic or Computer Engineering or related field.
- Experience with shipping high volume consumer products with external CM, ODM or JDM partners.
- Understanding of product development process for mass volume production design, with a focus on DFM (design for manufacturing) and DFT (design for test).
- Broad, cross-functional understanding of hardware product execution such as ME/PD, ID, cost and factory/operations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.