DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the direction of the Hardware Manager and / or Senior Hardware Engineer the Hardware Engineer must have proficient working knowledge of raised floor management, computer and network installations in a medium to large-scale computer center environment.
- Define the physical layer including layouts of cabinets that contain servers, network hardware, disk, tape, and the technology that is required to satisfy client needs.
- Provide for short and long term raised floor plans for business growth within the Data Centers.
- Coordinate electrical installations for the equipment with the Facility Engineers.
- As required, provide input into the deployment of hardware, copper, fiber and data center infrastructure for legacy and current technologies including but not limited to copper and fiber cables; patch panels; power strips; cabinet rail kits for build out and readiness.
- Working knowledge of industry best practices of computer systems and associated components, telecommunications and storage systems, redundant or backup power supplies, redundant data communications connections, environmental controls (e.g., air conditioning, fire suppression) and security systems.
- Maintain documentation of hardware location and connectivity.
- Advanced, proven knowledge of cable installation.
- Proficient in computer equipment specifications for power and cooling needs.
- Proficient and have working knowledge of open systems computing environments required, and knowledge of legacy environments i.e. AS/400 and S/390 or UNIX, and Windows operating systems and associated communications systems is required.
- Knowledgeable of fiber and copper cable legacy and current technologies and infrastructure.
- Experience in Production control activities, network operations, and/or Service Desk operations.
- Bachelor Degree or 2 years of related experience.
- Able to follow the design plans of a cable infrastructure system.
- Hardware installation, troubleshooting, and repair skills in the area of network equipment.
- Training and experience working with the internals of computer hardware is required. A+, Network + certification and/or PC maintenance work experience is desired.
- Experience working in a medium to large-scale computer center environment is desired