Purpose of Job
The Hardware Design Engineer is responsible for leading the team, project planning, designing and testing circuits, meet company objectives related to on-time / quality designs related to various infotainment modules. This role includes ensuring the product meets design, regulation, performance requirements as well as taking ownership in resolving problems. Individuals in this role must possess circuit analysis skills, choosing components, WCA, test plans, taking measurements, cost savings (VA/VE), and other design/test related skills. This individual needs a strong technical background to execute and complete all task and to resolve challenges.
- Lead and master all internal design standards, best practices, and lessons learned.
- Lead and master the department processes, as well as the cross-department dependencies and processes.
- Design to, and comply with, all electrical/electronic based standards such as ISO, CISPR, and all other design/compliance standards.
- Lead and master the Blogal Quality Gate Process and deliverables.
- Create and lead all project timelines and deliverable schedules.
- Understand and meet all customer design, performance, regulation, and quality-based specs.
- Analyze, document all Requirements Analysis (RA) according to System Requirements Spec (SRS) and System Architecture Doc (SAD) within the PLM/ALM tools
- Link traceability between SRS, SAD to design documents.
- Support RFI and RFQ activities which include RA, Design, Calcs, simulations, PoCs, specifications, and presentation materials
- Assists in interfacing with the customer and internal engineering teams (mechanical, system, software, PCB, artwork, EMC, prototype, production manufacturing) to define hardware requirements, specifications, and solving any technical challenges
- Assists in preparing technical reports, design proposals, functional specifications, and project timelines to customers and leadership.
- Maintains internal and customer related open issues list during development phase.
- Lead internal development and problem-solving meetings and other activities to achieve design goals and/or to solve challenges.
- Generates diagrams, schematics, BOMs using circuit design software tools.
- Assists in the design of complex microcontroller unit (MCU), graphic processing unit (GPU) based systems, in addition to both volatile and non-volatile memory-based circuits with serial flash, NAND, DDR3/4, LPDDR3/4 technologies and other various SMPS circuits with varying voltage rails to support system design and component selection.
- Assist in the design of various network technologies such as LIN, CAN, MOST, Ethernet, FPDLink, and others, as well as various optical circuits/modules such as optical sensors, LEDs, and various display technologies.
- Conduct PSPICE simulations.
- Examines design feasibility, cost, and performance by performing worst case circuit analysis.
- Supports developing power sequence requirements and system design sheets (aka HW-SW I/F docs) based on customer specifications and internal design procedures.
- Assists in preparing component and sub-system level DFMEA documents.
- Analyzes customer validation documents, develops test plans for electrical and EMC testing, supports DVP&R document creation, and coordinates validation schedule with appropriate parties.
- Conducts vehicle level electrical functional and measurement tests, reports findings to hardware leadership and customer.
- Provides status updates on project activities and progress to hardware lead, supervisor, manager, and fellow Hardware Engineers.
- Conducts component and process cost reduction studies.
- Completes tear-down analysis of competitor’s parts, documents design details, and makes presentation.
- Analyzes warranty return issues and implement necessary design changes in coordination other Hardware Engineers.
- Assists in the completion of electrical studies and all documentation for RFQ activities for new business.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or computer engineering.
- Related Experience7+ years of experience in the electrical engineering field, and comprehensive knowledge of electrical engineering principles.
- Aid in the design and testing of electrical hardware; use various design tools such as schematic capture, PLM, ALM, PSPICE simulation, Redmine, SharePoint, and Microsoft Office software; and use testing tools such as oscilloscopes, programmable power supply, digital multimeter, and ARB waveform FCN generator to test hardware functionality.
- Solid understanding of specification creation, design analysis principals, project management, circuit theory, drawing creation, and development processes.
- Knowledge of tolerance and worst-case analysis methodologies.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with customers and multi-cultural teams, in addition to managing multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Solid understanding of circuit analysis, component selection, WCA, test plans, measurements, cost savings (VA/VE), and other design/test related skills.