The Boeing Companies Southern California Design Center is currently seeking an innovative engineer with advanced and /or broad knowledge of Boeing design and/or engineering principles who can perform challenging, interesting and dynamic Mechanical Engineering work as a member of the Southern California Design Center Airplane Systems, Mechanical Systems and Flight Control Systems team. The team supports all Boeing airplane models in production and in service, including modification work on all Boeing model airplanes in service.
• Work to ensure world-class Mechanical Systems by collaborating with other organizations such as Aerodynamics Performance and Stability & Control, Structures, Flight Deck Crew Operations, Pilots, Electrical Systems, Systems Stress, Customer Services & Airline Customers, Factory and Flight Line Operations, Supplier Management, Airplane Safety and many others.
• Perform new detail design, as well as participate in troubleshooting and resolution of in-service issues. Equipment includes components such as linear actuators, servo valves, rotary actuators / gearboxes, cable system components, pilot controls (i.e. column, wheel, rudder pedals, switches, etc.), torque tubes, linkages, ball-screws, various sensor types, etc. Opportunities for mechanical engineering engagement in Flight Controls and Mechanical Systems include work in Primary Flight Controls (e.g. pilot controls, elevators, stabilizer, rudder, ailerons, and spoilers/speed-brakes), High Lift Systems (i.e. leading edge flaps or slats, and trailing edge flaps), Landing Gear Systems (e.g., Gear Actuation, Steering, and Braking), and Hydraulic Systems.
• Requirements definition, conducting various types of analysis, use of CAD/CAM systems such as CATIA, and math modeling with tools such as Simulink and EASY5.
• Participate in design reviews and engage in supplier coordination. Utilize project management tools to ensure project success and timeliness (e.g. scheduling, technical risk oversight, deliverables tracking).
• Define verification methods such as component, system-level and airplane-level testing, and participate in that testing.
• Participate in activities related to certification of Boeing products with regulatory agencies.
• The position requires flexibility to address emergent issues and important airline meetings off-hours and may require an occasional off-shift work schedule to support the fleet operating 24/7/365.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Relocation Assistance Available
Yes. Available for eligible candidates, if authorized.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
• Applied Business Knowledge
• Business (Operational) Acumen
• Customer Focus
• Gaining Commitment
• Project Management
• Systems Thinking
• Advanced Math & System Model
• Flight Test
• Flight Theory
• GNC Design and Integration
• GNC Requirements
• Government Laws/Regulations
• Navigation & Control Analysis
• Research and Development
• Simulation and Modeling
• Tech Verification/Validation
• Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 5 or more years' experience, Master's degree with 3 or more years' experience or PhD degree with experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.