The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news, and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, we now reach more than 20 million readers per month. We are based in New York and are an operating business of IAC.
The Daily Beast recently launched a paid membership product, Beast Inside, and we’re looking for a creative, analytical, and strategic thinker to lead our marketing efforts.
The ideal candidate has experience with acquisition and retention marketing for a paid product, including strategy and campaign development, data analysis, and executing cross-platform tests. This person has a proven track record working with a variety of marketing tactics — including on-site targeting, newsletters, social platforms, search, etc. — to drive revenue results. A clear understanding of how to effectively move users through a marketing funnel to increase loyalty and drive conversion is a must.
This role reports to the VP of business development. As the first team member dedicated to our marketing efforts, this person will be responsible for establishing an internal process that works across our editorial, revenue, analytics, audience development, and technology teams.
- Lead development and execution of acquisition and retention marketing strategy for Beast Inside to meet revenue goals
- Leverage data and analytics to develop and constantly iterate on our marketing strategy, including user segmentation, testing strategy, messaging optimization, and exploration of new platforms and channels
- Report on performance metrics/insights, surfacing clear takeaways about what’s working, what’s not, and recommendations for how to optimize
- Iterate on messaging for product benefits while staying true to The Daily Beast brand and consistently communicating value proposition
- Liaise directly with the newsroom to develop and maintain an effective membership offering and product strategy
- Create a scalable workflow to support all marketing efforts
- Manage the evaluation of our marketing technology needs in coordination with our analytics and tech teams
What You Bring To Us
You are / have:
- 5+ years of previous acquisition marketing (or related) experience; retention marketing experience a plus
- Confident about digging into data to surface insights and make recommendations
- A self-starter who isn’t afraid to take an idea and run with it
- An agile thinker, able to fluidly and quickly move between quantitative and qualitative tasks
- An eager collaborator, working with multiple teams to solve problems in a quick and nimble way
- Strong writing skills and design instincts
- Proven ability to multitask under pressure and juggle multiple deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present ideas and results to senior leadership
- Impeccable attention to detail
- A deep interest in or passion for the business of media
- A voracious news diet and appetite for current affairs, pop culture, and internet trends
- Proficiency in Google Analytics, Microsoft Excel, Google’s G Suite
- Based in NYC