Description The Group Vice President of Communications has a tremendous impact on the AHA’s ability to be influential on national, regional and state levels by organizing strategy and focusing operations to foster high engagement and demonstrate exceptional value through media relations, digital media, and advocacy & member communications. This position collaborates with executive and core management to ensure that AHA’s external and internal communications are instrumental in helping realize AHA’s mission, vision and strategic priorities, effectively leveraging and telling the hospital story across multimedia. The Communications Team includes over 20 colleagues primarily based in Washington, DC, but also based in Chicago, IL.
1. Working with the SVP, Communications and the core management team, outline strategies, including opportunities to innovate, for Communications to support high member engagement and satisfaction.
2. Lead communications teams responsible for ensuring that media relations, advocacy & member communications, digital media, internal, marketing and AHA branding activities across the association are aligned, timely and impactful.
3. Serve as day to day deputy for the communications department and represent the Senior Vice President at critical meetings.
4. Develop and monitor metrics to ensure that Communications is meeting or exceeding its goals to support member engagement and produce impactful communications.
5. Provide expertise and guidance within Communications, for members and across the association regarding messaging, timing and content aligned with AHA’s strategies and advocacy efforts.
6. Effectively manage and develop talent through formal and informal talent management processes and activities.
7. Identify emerging issues that will affect the field and develop creative approaches to effectively address them.
8. Maintain and expand existing relationships with media and develop crisis communications tactics that will allow the association to navigate high-profile events and issues. Serve as AHA spokesperson on sensitive issues.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required Education: Master's Degree
Desired fields of study: Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related.
Required Experience: More than 12 years
1. Minimum 12 years of communications or public relations management experience is required.
2. Experience leading large complex communication teams is required.
3. Experience with speechwriting is required.
4. Experience within or related to the health care industry or delivery system is strongly preferred/required.
1. Expert knowledge in the following areas: communications, media relations, public relations, digital media, marketing and graphic design.
2. Deep and broad understanding of the current health care delivery system from a hospital administration standpoint as well as from a legislative and regulatory perspective is strongly preferred.
3. Knowledge and experience regarding the changes underway in health care delivery and the reforms being sought by hospital leaders and clinicians is crucial.
4. An understanding of the field of national health care as it is related to associations including having established relationships within the field is a plus.
5. Knowledge and readiness regarding change management, talent management and relationship management are key requirements to success in this role as well.
6. Excellent political, media and communications judgment and flexibility.
1. Expert in PowerPoint.
2. Expert in the use of social media platforms.
3. Experience with marketing automation systems such as Real Magnet and enterprise management systems.
4. Intermediate computer and Microsoft Office (Word and Outlook) skills.
5. Ability to learn new technology.
1. Ability to be an effective thinker and planner for the long-term as well as manage and solve for day-to-day and moment-to-moment issues is crucial.
2. Consistent with AHA’s values: People, Integrity, Leadership, Collaboration, Diversity, Innovation, and Excellence, must be effective and a role model for others regarding leadership and management of people and other resources is expected.
3. Ability to oversee multiple highly complex department projects and meet deadlines.
4. Ability to produce sound bites.
5. Ability to lead and influence others.
TRAVEL REQUIRED: 50% or more travel.
Requisition Number 17-0097