This position leads and conducts financial, operational, compliance, third-party, information technology and strategic audits across business units and functions. Responsibilities include managing all audit phases, i.e., conducting risk assessments to determine audit scope, executing risk-based audit procedures and identifying/reporting on observations as well as process improvements. Drives special projects and continuous improvement initiatives. Coaches and mentors team members. Participates with the Director and peers in developing and updating the risk-based, dynamic audit plan.
- Coordinate engagement plans, schedules and budgets with the Director GIA to ensure efficient and effective resource allocations. Lead and participate in the internal audits of the Terumo Group companies in the USA, Latin America, Terumo Europe and of such other Terumo Group companies as may be required.
- Effectively assess risks and controls during planning to develop a risk-based audit scope considering input from key stakeholders.
- Propose and execute audit programs and testing procedures that address highest risks for activities in scope and drive execution of the audit/project to TAH and IIA standards.
- Drive preparation of the report for each engagement ensuring findings, action items and recommendations are practical and actionable. Communicate effectively with internal and external management to align on audit observations and recommendations.
- Lead the JSOX compliance including testing, reporting and for the purpose of JSOX compliance liaise with the external auditors as required to demonstrate compliance with JSOX requirements.
- Lead and deliver IT audits including pre and post implementation audit for SAP programs and other transformational initiatives including digital and cybersecurity.
- Drive data analysis in risk assessment and execution of audits.
- Participate in department recruiting efforts to identify, recruit and onboard talent.
- Coach/mentor staff assigned to audits. Foster an inclusive and feedback-rich environment.
- Develop strong networks with key stakeholders to identify audit plan input, identify and cascade to relevant people, process and system changes to GIA, and act as a resource to them on control/process issues.
- Monitor and cascade emerging risks and changes in Company policies and procedures, accounting/auditing standards and industry practices/regulations, to suggest changes to audit plans and procedures
- Identify, lead and participate in continuous improvement initiatives.
- To report to the Americas Audit Committee and TAH Senior Management as required.
- To conduct ‘ad hoc’ audit activities and investigations, as required by business conditions.
- To participate in due diligence activity for proposed acquisitions as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision & adherence to timelines
- Strong interpersonal skills required in order to develop and foster strong working business relationship and adapt to regional cultures
- Listens and communicates in a way that demonstrates respect for others and fosters clarity
- At all times to maintain strict confidentiality of all sensitive information to which he/she may be exposed in the conduct of the audit
- Respects differences and collaborates with others to achieve a common goal and demonstrates courage in raising tough issues for the good of Terumo
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-confidence and sound judgment to arrive at conclusions in the course of audit work
- To discuss and negotiate with management regarding internal control weaknesses and improvement opportunities requiring attention
- Ability to travel throughout the US and Latin America, etc…as required
- Background and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Finance/Accountingrequired –Master’s Degree preferred
- 6-8 years of prior experience in financial, operational, IT & business controls and compliance audits
- ability to audit across all of these disciplines individually and in an integrated audit (combining IT and one or several other disciplines in one audit)
- Experience supervising teams and experience with a Big Four firm or internal audit is preferred
- Exposure working in and building relationships in a Global pharmaceutical/medical device organization highly preferred
- Fluent in English; Fluency in Spanish/Portuguese a plus
- Working knowledge of ERP systems such as JD Edwards, SAP, etc.
- Microsoft suite (Word, XL, PowerPoint) essential