As System Manager you will lead the development of Ground System capabilities for the project Ground team. Will report programmatically to the Mission Systems Manager and administratively to the Manager of the Mission Systems Engineering Section.
- Lead a diverse, multidisciplinary team (JPL, government and industry) to plan, develop and implement a complex, sophisticated integrated ground system.
- Accountable for day-to-day technical and programmatic leadership of ground system activities.
- Plan, direct, and control resources, schedule; make risk decisions and performance commitments in fulfilling project objectives.
- Assign, approve and/or concur in appointment of key personnel.
- Organize and ensure adequate technical coverage and penetration of critical deliverables.
- Assure the quality, accuracy, and integrity of the project deliverables in compliance with JPL standards and project plans and policies.
- Apply strong System Management skills and experience to all parts of Ground System development, planning and execution.
- Lead the development, delivery, and deployment of a Ground System deliverables on schedule and within agreed upon costs while fulfilling assigned objectives
- Provide leadership carrying out the system engineering process from requirements through implementation.
- Provide technical guidance and oversight of the work of L4 ground data system elements and their delivery to other mission systems.
- Manage Ground budget and schedule.
- Manage Ground risks and risk reduction strategy.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of team’s progress and report status to management and internal organizations; presents status report and progress briefings at project reviews
- Conduct technical and managerial briefings to Program Leadership and community Seniors.
- Establish and maintain constructive relationships with DOD organizations and supporting line organizations.
- Apply strong interpersonal and communications skills and to interfacing with external organizations to develop, integrate and operate complex systems.
- Familiarity with DOD and Other Government Agency ground systems, organizations and processes.
- Provide oversight of mission operations requirements and operations concept, functional architecture, design, documentation, interface definition to external elements, delivery of the system, and assuring that the design meets functional and performance requirements and complies with institutional standards.
Note: This position may be classified at one level higher than the posted level. A determination will be made once the final candidate has been identified.
- AN ACTIVE TS/SCI SECURITY CLEARANCE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, or related technical discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Recent project experience in cost-effective ground systems design, development, and operations.
- Experience with development of command and control and data processing software, including complex algorithms and science team interfaces.
- Demonstrated understanding of key issues associated with flight operations and mission planning.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories and concepts in flight and ground mission operations systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team lead across multiple disciplines and organizations.
- Proven ability to apply innovation, initiative, and mature judgment to operation of flight projects.
- Experience negotiating resources and schedules with multi-organizational teams.
- Proven ability to meet commitments to produce high quality products within budget through prioritization and personal direction.
- Must have proactive team building strategies, excellent communication skills, including the ability to write and review technical documentation, and to productively interface with all levels of management.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with the program office, project, JPL technical divisions, industrial partners, and user community.
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively with little oversight.
- Wide-ranging experience and advanced knowledge in DoD mission systems engineering lifecycle activities and products, including ground systems architecture; operations, systems interoperability; system-level, subsystem-level, and interface requirements definition, flow-down and verification; multi-mission operations systems and services; risk management.
- Leadership experience in mission demonstrations.
- Experience with subcontract management.
- Ability to interface and negotiate with external partners/contractors