Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work.
We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
You are looking for a collaborative environment building distributed systems that enable enterprises to focus on their business rather than re-architecting a cloud platform from scratch. Pair programming has always been something that you wanted to try out. You will rotate pairs every day and, less frequently, to entirely new projects!
Furthering your education is a goal for this role. Learning new programming languages and getting to work with cloud native frameworks is also a pert of this role. As cliché as it may sound, every day is completely different from the next. We have a general framework for what our day looks like and the majority of it will be spent with your pair:
- 8:00 AM – Breakfast provided by the Lab
- 8:16 AM - Office-wide stand-up to build office cohesion and start the day off together.
- 8:26 AM - Team standup - discuss any blockers, choose pairs, maybe even tell a joke.
- 8:26-12:00 PM - Start pairing, tackle an open Pivotal Tracker story for your product.
- 12:00-1:00 PM – Lunch!
- 1:01-5:00 PM - Get back with your pair and start an acceptance test for a big feature.
- While that schedule does look busy, don’t worry - we take ample breaks throughout the day, including ping-pong, and have access to snacks and beverages.
- Sustainable pace is held in high regard, but we also place value in work life balance.
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
- Interest in exploring new programming paradigms, languages, and patterns
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
- Have empathy with your pair and freely exchange feedback on a continual basis
Nice to Haves
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Worked with large Java codebases
- Used Test Driven Development (TDD) extensively
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open source project
- Experience with log analysis, streaming data, streaming metrics
- Experience with metric analysis and visualization
- On-callexperience with production grade systems
- Has mentored others in a professional setting