Job Description Summary:
DataStax powers the Right-Now Enterprise with the always-on, distributed cloud database built on Apache Cassandra™ and designed for hybrid cloud. We are seeking a talented DataStax Graph Consultant tojoin our team.
At DataStax we are on the forefront of an incredible market opportunity with life-changing technology. We are looking for individuals who are ready to make an impact and able to thrive in a rapidly growing environment. Huge Market, Amazing Technology and Talented People are all great reasons to join DataStax.
As a DataStax Consultant, you are a trusted advisor to our customers as they build new technologies that leverage the unique strengths of DataStax software. As a member of the DataStax Professional Services team, it is your mission to make it easy for DataStax customers to use our software to achieve continuous success.
With your Graph database consulting specialization, you will be providing guidance to our customers using DataStax Enterprise Graph as a property graph. This will involve operational concerns of a distributed database, modeling customer data efficiently as a property graph, and teaching about graph traversal best practices.
Essential Job Functions:
Work on-site or remotely with customers to support their adoption of DSE:
Understand > Document > Contribute > Assess > Communicate
Understand the customer’s business requirements to align the technical objectives of the project with desired business outcomes.
Understand the project’s technical requirements, objectives and timeline to:
- maximize the value realized by the customer’s DataStax investment
- appropriately expand DSE feature usage
- deliver context-sensitive recommendations
- bring additional resources to bear, if necessary
Understand the scope of work designed by the DataStax Architect to:
- drive the customer toward the agreed-upon solution
- know when to engage the Architect for additional input or clarification
- know when to escalate for scope expansion
Document the project’s environment: people, processes and technologies to:
- facilitate engagement delivery coordination
- smooth project handoff between consultants
- equip team members in the Professional Services, Customer Success, Technical Pre-Sales and Technical Support teams with background and context for future engagements / support issues
- become an enablement case study
Contribute relevant DataStax Enterprise usage recommendations to the project as well as mentoring and/or formal instruction to the project team. Collaborate with the customer and other DataStax team members to advance the customer’s agenda. Document the project’s progress, implementation and your contributions to… [ see “Document” purposes above ].
Assess the impact of your contributions relative to the scope of work and project’s objectives and timeline. Conduct engagement retrospectives to drive the implementation of recommendations. Coordinate the escalation of adoption roadblocks to the project’s leadership and DataStax Project Management. Actively participate in resolution. Own your impact.
Communicate progress and other pertinent information with stakeholders within the project, company and DataStax to:
- coordinate delivery timing
- bring attention to successes
- give notice of potential challenges on the horizon
- rally support from other team members and management
- give notice for follow-on sales presentations
As part of the “Contribute” section above, you may be called upon to provide guidance based on:
- Specialization: DataStax Enterprise Graph best practices for graph data modeling, development, deployment and operations.
- Specialization: Graph and network theory applied to “customer 360”, personalization, fraud detection and other common DataStax customer use cases to provide focused guidance to projects developing for those use cases.
- DataStax Enterprise best-practices for operations, including configuration, capacity planning, deployment, performance tuning, maintenance, monitoring, alerting, troubleshooting & diagnosis to support core product use, deployment and operations.
- DataStax Enterprise best-practices for development, including data modeling, driver configuration (in multiple languages), distributed data processing, indexing and distributed transactional programming to support teams developing API code which uses DataStax Enterprise.
- Providing the above guidance may require:
- Instructional and presentation techniques for delivering excellent classroom instruction, instructional consulting, powerful project plans and status updates.
- Customer Relationship Management and Sales process to support licensing and services sales discussions.
- You are competent using Linux via the command line. (3+ years)
- You are proficient in at least one programming language – preferably Java. (3-5 years)
- You are proficient in the use and administration of at least one database – any RDBMS is good; NoSQL is better; DSE or Cassandra is ideal. (3+ years)
- You love to travel. In this role, you will travel up to 50% of the time.
- You practice active listening.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills in English – and like using those skills.
- You find teaching and mentoring gratifying.
- You work well with individuals as well as teams. You naturally lead but are comfortable following too.
- You have calmly de-escalated tense situations and negotiated mutually beneficial outcomes.
- You understand the purpose and value of good project documentation.
Graph Specialization Requirements:
- You have studied and applied Graph Theory to solving real-world problems.
- You have worked with a graph database. (Titan or DSE Graph is ideal)
- You have worked with a graph traversal or query language. (Gremlin is ideal)
- If you have created graph project plans or graph gap analysis artifacts, that is a plus.
In this role, you will report to a regional Managing Principal Architect. On a per-project basis, you will work under the technical direction of a Senior or Principal Consultant and collaborate with an Architect. Project teams may also include a Project Manager and one or more DataStax Field Engineers.
Helping our customers achieve success includes helping them purchase the DataStax products and services they need. You will work closely with technical counterparts in pre-sales and account-level Enterprise Sales Managers to make the purchasing process smooth and give your customers confidence in their purchase.