The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a Grants Specialist to work in our Charlotte, NC, location. Position responsible for grants management across the state of North Carolina.
Specific job duties: Will write 35 United Way applications around the state; write content for foundation, corporations and other grants, plus reporting; conduct research on other grant opportunities.
1. Provides strategic vision, tools, resources and training to help Red Cross fundraisers create fundraising strategies.
2. Works closely with colleagues to ensure that the organization takes full advantage of programmatic funding opportunities.
3. Implements and creates best practices on workplace giving for United Way and other foundations.
4. Conducts in-depth analysis and exploration in order to advise others regarding which foundations, agencies or corporations would be suitable to approach for the organization’s funding needs. May be personally responsible for researching and writing grants.
5. Identifies, pursues, cultivates, and enhances relationships with foundations and government agencies in support of funding needs. Creates guidance, tools, and resources to assess relationships.
6. Negotiates contracts with foundations and corporations, seeking alternative sources of funding from community partnerships to increase revenue stream.
7. Provides guidance and leadership to streamline the grant process and increase support,
8. Provides guidance and leadership to Community Execs and Regional CEO in their foundation relationships as they transition to other funding models as desired.
9. Collaborates with the Regional CEO to develop and execute the strategy to build grantor relationships.
10. Provides coordination, logistic and relationship support as needed for the grantor’s annual giving campaigns, whether foundation or corporate workplace campaigns. This would entail handling meetings logistics, creating effective communication plans for special events, developing resources, training programs and group calls, ordering and coordinating production and tracking responses, etc.
Education: A Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Business, Organizational Development or a relevant field.
Experience: A minimum of five years experience working for a nonprofit organization or in public relations, marketing, sales, communication or project management. Corporate fundraising or workplace giving experiencepreferred. Experience working with community foundations and the United Way preferred.
Management Experience: 2-4 years of management experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Microsoft Office, Donor Management System (like Raiser’s Edge or Team Approach) is highly preferred.