GPU Performance Engineer
- Job Number: 54114090
- Santa Clara Valley, California, United States
- Posted: 28-Aug-2017
- Weekly Hours: 40.00
Apple’s GPU Software team provides the graphics software foundation across all of Apple's innovative products, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and Apple Watch. Our responsibilities encompass the frameworks, developer tools, and device drivers for the GPU and Display on all of Apple’s hardware. This team recently announced Metal 2 which provides near-direct access to the graphics processing unit (GPU), enabling you to maximize the graphics and compute potential of apps on iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. Building upon an efficient low-overhead architecture with precompiled shaders, fine-grained resource control, and multithreading support, Metal 2 further boosts performance by enabling the GPU to take more control of the rendering pipeline. Moving beyond just graphics, Metal 2 provides deep support for GPU-accelerated machine learning and offers enhanced developer tools that make it even easier to debug, optimize, and deploy Metal apps. On Mac, Metal 2 adds support for virtual reality (VR) rendering and external GPUs, and provides new APIs and optimizations to help developers embrace these emerging technologies within their apps.
- Excellent programming skills and knowledge of C/C++
- Development experience on Unix, Linux or macOS
- Excellent software design, problem solving and debugging skills
- Experience with GPU hardware and software architecture analysis, design, and implementation
- Outstanding experience with GPU and CPU performance optimizations
We are looking for a top-notch, driven, and dedicated engineer to drive our efforts in GPU software performance. You can make a difference by helping iOS apps gain the most benefit out of Metal and the A10 GPU, by contributing to our benchmark suite, and by defining the requirements for and evaluating the performance of future GPUs.
- Experience with embedded systems a plus - Experience with parallel and asynchronous processing a plus - Knowledge of Metal, OpenCL, OpenGL and OpenGL ES or other graphics and compute developer APIs a plus - Knowledge of macOS, Core Animation, UIKit, Core Graphics and iOS programming a plus - Experience with application user interface programming, scene graphs, and graphics rendering techniques a plus - Experience in the video games industry a plus