This will be a remote position
What will you do
Responsibility for business development and sales activities in the Federal, State and Local Government vertical for the entire SimplexGrinnell product line and service portfolio; and drive and/or assist execution of all market related marketing in order that Johnson Controls, Inc. customer perception, brand & market exposure, revenues and profitability to the company can be fully maximized within assigned markets. The Government BDM will be the sales "champion" for the assigned region, "own" the Region's bookings & revenue targets for the entire Government vertical, and will act as a key communication conduit and contact / liaison point for all Government vertical / horizontal marketing matters - providing support for both Area and branch sales and marketing entities, lead and document teaming relationships with GCs/ECs/SBs/FMs; develop customer relationships via monthly calls on target agencies.
Local Government is a growth area for the company and candidates will look to partner with other parts of the organization that typically target this vertical market. Partnering directly with the dedicated vertical market team to ensure each "smart city" type project has a fire and life safety aspect to it will be critical component in our success. Understanding that the municipal market is looking to create secure, connected and resilient communities and Johnson Controls fire and life safety products should be foundational to every project. The candidate will drive revenue at the local and state level by bringing the relationships and local procurement sites which are generally not covered by reps in the local markets.
The Government BDM maintains a $50 Million to $100+ Million pipeline at all times.
How you will do it
- Identify and prioritize all multi-year contract vehicles (MACC, MATOC, IDIQ, etc.) coming up for renewal or net new in the region.
- Collaboratively secure commitments from the Area General Manager and Area Sales Managers on which contract vehicles to pursue.
- Lead the capture effort (qualification, teaming strategies, pricing strategies, proposal efforts, etc.) on 3 to 4 of these per year.
- Ensure resources are assigned to others as prioritized by management; teach the contracting process and selection/scoring process to local sales teams. WIN at least one or two per year.
- Identify and prioritize the Base Operations Services (BOS) contract opportunities in the region; work with our Services teams and National Services organization on a business model, staffing, and pricing strategies to WIN at least one BOS contract.
- Develop and teach sole source justification strategies to the district sales teams: GSA E-Buy, 8(a) and Alaskan Native Corporation set-asides, writing the technical specification in ways that favor only SimplexGrinnell, utilizing the Mentor Prot�g� Program with small businesses; replicate success tactics and strategies from other regions while sharing lessons learned with peers in those regions.
What we look for
- Minimum 10 years or more in a combination of Sales; Sales or Business Development Management; Government / Industrial Marketing; Government / Industrial Sales.
- Experience and relationships with Federal agency sales and/or business development, preferably with GSA, VA, USPS, Army, Navy, and Air Force.
- Thorough knowledge of contracts, contracting, especially Multiple Award Construction Contracts, Multiple Award Task Order Contracts, IDIQs, BPAs, SATOCs, and the GSA Schedule.
- Successful individuals will have the ability to build strong business relationships, attention to detail and high energy levels; knowledge and experience with small business contracting (and subcontracting) and federal/state/local small business classifications and qualifications
- Previous experience in preparing and delivering standup presentations orally and using Microsoft PowerPoint slides; skill in developing MS PowerPoint slides and presentations, Excel Spreadsheets, data graphs/charts (bar/Gantt/pie/etc.)
- Proven ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) and Sales Lead software (e.g. Deltek, Dodge, SAM.Gov, etc). Use and knowledge of CRM software tools (e.g. Microsoft CRM or Salesforce.com)
- Previous experience in writing sales reports, management summaries, market analyses; provide writing samples.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to travel 60% minimum
- BS or equivalent degree, MBA or Master of Science preferred
- Rolodex of contacts in procurement, purchasing, acquisitions, program management, and teaming partners like general contractors, electrical contractors, systems integrators, government contractors, and small businesses