Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
GN&C Project Engineer II
This leadership position is for a highly-experienced engineer or manager who can help the Guidance, Navigation & Controls team manage the cost, schedule and hardware content for spacecraft efforts across the company. This position is 70% management and 30% technical.
What You’ll Do:
- GNC cost account manager and project engineer.
- Work daily with the larger GN&C team on procurements, and programmatics.
- Establish strong vendor relationships for sensors (star trackers, sun sensors, magnetometers, inertial reference units, GPS receivers) and actuators (reaction wheels, CMGs, torque rods).
- Prepare and manage hardware definition and interfaces. A strong hardware background is required.
- Extensive technical writing (proposal development, contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years of related experience.
- Current Top Secret/SCI security clearance required.
- Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in GN&C Subsystem Design or Test.
- A solid understanding of all aspects of planning, scheduling, hardware specifications, and interface control.
- Previous earned value management experience is highly desired.
- Proven expertise in subcontract management.
- Extensive experience with defining, developing and delivering space qualified hardware.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effective in multidisciplinary large team work environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.