The Global Tax Provision & Planning Leader, reports to the Senior Director, Corporate Tax, and is responsible for global tax accounting and international tax planning, including reporting of the income tax provision for audited financial statements and related disclosures, and managing resolution of international tax examinations.
Ideal candidates will be seasoned professionals who have broad, global experience, preferably in publicly-held companies; extensive experience with M&A and complex transactions; and demonstrated successful leadership of tax teams and/or departments; are broadly skilled in tax planning, strategy, compliance, global transfer pricing planning (including BEPS concepts/initiatives), IRSaudit defense and tax accounting; possess executive presence; and are skilled at interfacing with senior executives.
The company seeks a proven leader with strong communication skills and a demonstrated track record of building and motivating high-performance teams. The selected candidate will be a partner to executive and operating teams, and the global finance organization. The development of effective working relationships with management, as well as finance and other operating personnel, located throughout the world is required.
- Responsible for financialreporting for global income taxes, including income statement, balance sheet, statement of cash flows, uncertain tax positions and tax disclosures.
- Lead international tax planning projects to optimize effective tax rate and cash taxes.
- Support tax component of financial due diligence for M&A activities and tax integration efforts for acquired companies.
- Lead international tax component of IRSaudits and oversee foreign taxaudits, especially on issues related to cross-border transactions. Determine areas of tax exposure and manage associated risks, keeping senior management apprised of potential liability and ensuring reserves are adequate.
- Lead or direct process improvement activities to streamline and improve overall effectiveness of tax accounting and reporting processes.
- Plan and lead projects, ensuring team members have appropriate direction and resources to execute projects on an aggressive, but achievable, timelines.
- Maintain strong relationships with external auditors and manage relationships with external tax advisors.
- Ensure the company has a lean, but highly competent, tax accounting team. Recruit, develop and retain highly skilled tax team members. Mentor tax leaders and lead by example. Ensure tax accounting team works well across functions to support key business initiatives.
Education: CPA and Masters of Taxation, or J.D. and LL.M. in Taxation, are preferred.
Experience: 15+ years of taxexperience, including ideally at least 10 years of corporate taxexperience in a large corporation or Big 4 accounting firm. Must include international taxexperience and demonstrated leadership positions.
Desired Skills / Attributes
- Technical / Financial / Commercial Acumen — broad and deep knowledge of tax, including a superb understanding of tax planning, income taxreporting standards, income tax process improvement (including tax provision automation), taxlaw and how tax concepts are applied to commercial opportunities, including M&A. Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent leadership skills — an experienced manager and motivator of teams, with ability to attract, develop and retain top tax talent. A thought leader capable of influencing through collaboration, consensus building and interpersonal effectiveness; able to foster and nurture a positive working culture and lead by example.
- Business Partner — strong business-partner mindset, with demonstrated ability to influence management decisions. Keen appreciation for tax strategy as a growth enabler. Common-sense approach to the development and implementation of income tax strategies and initiatives. Flexible and innovative mindset with respect to evaluating and resolving tax issues. Entrepreneurial spirit, with a constant focus on adding value and an ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Communication Skills — demonstrated ability to communicate complicated tax issues in clear, concise and commonsense terms, particularly with senior executives. Ability to inspire confidence through knowledge and presence.
- Ability to link vision and strategy with overall business objectives and communicate rationale in a compelling, concise manner.