Eastman is a global advanced materials and specialty additives company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With a portfolio of specialty businesses, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. Its market-driven approaches take advantage of world-class technology platforms and leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction and consumables. Eastman focuses on creating consistent, superior value for all stakeholders. As a globally diverse company, Eastman serves customers in more than 100 countries and had 2016 revenues of approximately $9.0 billion. The company is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA and employs approximately 14,000 people around the world.
The Global Tax Provision & Planning Leader, reports to the Senior Director, Corporate Tax, and is responsible for global tax accounting and international tax planning, including reporting of theincome tax provision for audited financial statements and related disclosures, and managing resolution of international tax examinations.
Ideal candidates will be seasoned professionals who have broad, global experience, preferably in publicly-held companies; extensive experience with M&A and complex transactions; and demonstrated successful leadership of tax teams and/or departments; are broadly skilled in tax planning, strategy, compliance, global transfer pricing planning (including BEPS concepts/initiatives), IRS audit defense and tax accounting; possess executive presence; and are skilled at interfacing with senior executives.
The company seeks a proven leader with strong communication skills and a demonstrated track record of building and motivating high-performance teams. The selected candidate will be a partner to executive and operating teams, and the global finance organization. The development of effective working relationships with management, as well as finance and other operating personnel, located throughout the world is required.
- Responsible for financial reporting for global income taxes, including income statement, balance sheet, statement of cash flows, uncertain tax positions and tax disclosures.
- Lead international tax planning projects to optimize effective tax rate and cash taxes.
- Support tax component of financial due diligence for M&A activities and tax integration efforts for acquired companies.
- Lead international tax component of IRS audits and oversee foreign tax audits, especially on issues related to cross-border transactions. Determine areas of tax exposure and manage associated risks, keeping senior management apprised of potential liability and ensuring reserves are adequate.
- Lead or direct process improvement activities to streamline and improve overall effectiveness of tax accounting and reporting processes.
- Plan and lead projects, ensuring team members have appropriate direction and resources to execute projects on an aggressive, but achievable, timelines.
- Maintain strong relationships with external auditors and manage relationships with external tax advisors.
- Ensure the company has a lean, but highly competent, tax accounting team. Recruit, develop and retain highly skilled tax team members. Mentor tax leaders and lead by example. Ensure tax accounting team works well across functions to support key business initiatives.
Education: CPA and Masters of Taxation, or J.D. and LL.M. in Taxation, are preferred.
Experience: 15+ years of tax experience, including ideally at least 10 years of corporate tax experience in a large corporation or Big 4 accounting firm. Must include international tax experience and demonstrated leadership positions.
Desired Skills / Attributes
- Technical / Financial / Commercial Acumen — broad and deep knowledge of tax, including a superb understanding of tax planning, income tax reporting standards, income tax process improvement (including tax provision automation), tax law and how tax concepts are applied to commercial opportunities, including M&A. Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent leadership skills — an experienced manager and motivator of teams, with ability to attract, develop and retain top tax talent. A thought leader capable of influencing through collaboration, consensus building and interpersonal effectiveness; able to foster and nurture a positive working culture and lead by example.
- Business Partner — strong business-partner mindset, with demonstrated ability to influence management decisions. Keen appreciation for tax strategy as a growth enabler. Common-sense approach to the development and implementation of income tax strategies and initiatives. Flexible and innovative mindset with respect to evaluating and resolving tax issues. Entrepreneurial spirit, with a constant focus on adding value and an ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Communication Skills — demonstrated ability to communicate complicated tax issues in clear, concise and commonsense terms, particularly with senior executives. Ability to inspire confidence through knowledge and presence.
- Ability to link vision and strategy with overall business objectives and communicate rationale in a compelling, concise manner.
- Innovation and creative thinking and demonstrated thought leadership and decision-making capability with strong focus and drive around operational excellence.
- Travel: 5 – 20%
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.