This role serves as a critical advisor to the Segment Chief Marketing officers and Chief Customer Offers by leading the development and execution of the global Shopper Marketing and Consumer Promotion cross-segment strategy.
Marketing data includes: Displays, Point of Sales Materials, Below the Line Warehousing, Premia, 3rd Party Sales Brokers, In-Store, Shopper and Consumer Promotion, eCommerce and Distribution. S/he understands the structure of commercial deals as it relates to specific categories and will co-create the development and execution of the global strategy. Collaborating closely with each segment's Marketing and Sales leaders to support the development of key content assets to deploy to local markets and enable localization/amplification of content assess for local markets.
S/He possess an understanding of new technology, start-ups, and evolving consumer behaviors that are disrupting traditional marketing organizations at a rapid pace. This centralized role must be a change leader able to identify emerging technology, trends, and partners and discern those that will be the most relevant for Mars in the near and long term. This role must be able to synthesize external factors and develop a holistic strategy that delivers on business objectives, priorities, and learning agenda. Must be able to contribute and collaborate effectively with both internal and external stakeholders to galvanize change within Mars to deliver on long-term objectives and successfully compete in an evolving world.
- Reporting Line: Senior Commercial Director Global Marketing Services
- Responsible for $1 B (15 – 25% volatility) of complex spend across 200 - 300 agencies
- Team: 0
- Key stakeholders: Segment CMOs and CCOs, Segment and Regional Presidents, Global Brand Directors Segment CMI, Market GMs, Marketing and Sales Directors and Managers
- External contacts are CEOs, Presidents, VPs and Key Account Managers of large companies.
- Planning horizon: 3-5 years
- Categories covered may include but are not limited to Displays, Point of Sales Materials, Below the Line Warehousing, Premia, 3rd Party Sales Brokers, In-Store, Shopper and Consumer Promotion, eCommerce and Distribution.
- Ability to drive deals and work collaboratively with marketing teams
- Strong matrix and influence management experience
- Experience sourcing globally for global businesses
- Strong analytical skills including a high level of financial acumen
- Solid cross functional collaboration skills
- Ability to crystallize complex information and mobilize people to action
- Strong ability to influence and sell ideas with passion, confidence and conviction around right areas of opportunity
- Flexibility in responding to changing market conditions and adapting the company's business plans accordingly
- Coach regional/local marketing buyers in sourcing activities to include MSSM development, vendor selections, negotiations, contracting, global category management and stakeholder relations.
- Act as key contact for supplier relationships
- Establish and maintain day to day working relationship with clients for whom the role is responsible
- Participate in external forums and associations
- Develop and drive the global commercial strategy for the Consumer category across all segments
- Interpret internal business and industry challenges within the Consumer category impacting Mars segments and develop solutions and strategies to address them
- Champion category innovation
- Manage the global agency relationships
- Negotiate/Pitch Global Agency Assignments
- Manage continuous agency performance improvement
- Ensure global strategies are appropriate for the world, and built in flexibility for developing or unique markets
- Lead the development of a consistent compensation model for Consumer Category in conjunction with functional stakeholders and determine appropriate agency models
- Understand and recommend best practices in compensation, among other areas, for the region in developed and new markets
- Establish and maintain working relationship with regional commercial segment heads
- Ensure regional knowledge transfer
- Responsible for development and maintenance of global agency MSAs, and for ensuring completion of local addendums
10 – 15 years of experience. University Degree in business or economics. MBA preferred. Buying experience at the senior level with indirects, marketing, advertising and marketing technology preferred. Demonstrated leadership of multicultural regional teams. Demonstrated leadership in change management. Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions in complex and/or ambiguous business environments. Proven results in strategic sourcing and savings / value delivery to the business. History of building internal and external relationships. Interaction with management at all levels.
Key Knowledge and Experiences
- Deep experience within marketing commercial (Media, Creative, Market Research, Consumer)
- Experience working directly with and influencing senior leaders
- Experience leading cross-segment initiatives with a focus on strategy and organizational development
Key Commercial Competencies & Technical Skills
- Develop Commercial & Category Expertise – Advanced
- Commercial Governance – Expert
- Sourcing Strategy Development – Expert
- Sourcing Category Expertise – Advanced
- Stakeholder Engagement – Expert