This individual is responsible for providing business unit level leadership oversight to the quality management processes within the Global Performance Materials business, to ensure compliance with customer quality expectations, via indirect management of the Plant Quality Manager function and direct management of one or more Quality Engineers supporting Supplier Quality and/or New Product Commercialization. This individual provides support to the Performance Materials plant locations to achieve strategic quality objectives and corporate quality initiatives. This individual is also responsible for providing leadership around major/long-term process improvement initiatives, systems, and policies aligned to Performance Materials business strategies. The position reports directly to the Director of Global Supply Chain for Performance Materials, and reports indirectly to the Director of Global Corporate Quality.
- Direct management of one or more Quality Engineers, responsible for executing activities in support of supplier quality and/or support of new product commercialization and transfer of manufacturing technology between facilities/regions as defined in more detail in the Quality Engineer position descriptions.
- Indirect management of global manufacturing facility Quality Managers, including partnership with plant managers in establishing goals and evaluating job performance, focus on providing functional leadership, mentoring and establishment of developmental plans.
- Leadership of Performance Materials Quality Council and facilitation of best practices sharing relating to quality management across facilities/regions.
- Indirect accountability to corporate Global Quality Director, responsible for alignment with corporate-level quality initiatives and strategic quality objectives with participation on Global Quality Council.
- Participate in Performance Materials Plant Management Reviews to provide guidance and recommendations to Performance Materials Leadership team regarding performance of our quality management systems globally, and suitability of these processes to ensure compliance with customer quality expectations.
- Participate in high-performance teams associated with growth business areas to ensure customer quality expectations are understood, and appropriately translated to supporting processes and/or systems to ensure compliance and appropriate for the scale of business.
- Identification and resolution of systemic customer facing issues across Performance Materials team.
- Identify, prioritize, and lead execution of major/long-term process improvement initiatives and systems implementation and/or improvements aimed at improving quality outcomes and/or efficiency, or at improvement of our quality management processes and systems to meet customer quality expectations in new business areas.
- Participate in Advanced Quality Planning with the customer to understand the customer needs, designing within process capabilities and analyzing and mitigating failure modes and controlling of special characteristics.
- Provide supplier audits and approvals, monitoring and improvement of supplier quality performance, and support improvement of supplier quality processes.
- Represent the company in customer and supplier engagements concerning quality management matters.
- Travel up to 35%, both domestic and international.
- BS degree in technical discipline, preferably chemistry or chemical engineering.
- 8-10 years Quality management experience in supply to global automotive OEM, preferably within specialty chemicals value chain.
- Experience successfully leading significant process improvement or system implementation initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate across different functions and levels of the organization, with customers and suppliers, and across cultures.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, both of direct staff and leading across functions/levels within an organization, and in promoting culture of continuous improvement using Lean six sigma.
- Strong working knowledge of ISO9001/IATF16949 quality systems and automotive value chain quality requirements as well as auditing against the standards.
- Working knowledge of IATF16949 Core Tools (APQP, MSA, FMEA, PPAP, SPC).
- Proficiency in application of 6? tools (DMAIC, DOE).
- Proficiency in Lean Principles (5S, visual management, waste reductions).
- Ability to apply improvement methodologies via process mapping, Kaizen, Rapid Improvement events.
- Ability to understand business strategies/plans and translate implications for quality management in order to provide counsel to Performance Materials leadership regarding quality management matters.
- General financial knowledge, including general awareness/understanding of key financial metrics (P&L, cash flow, measures of return on investment such as NPV, IRR).
- Ability to obtain visas to travel to countries in which LORD Corporation maintains operations, currently Mexico, Brazil, Germany, China, Korea, Japan, and India.
- Graduate level education in technical or business discipline.
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer, Certified Quality Manager or Certified Black Belt.
- Lead auditor certification (ISO/TS16949).
- Breadth of experience beyond quality management, either within manufacturing environment (i.e. roles in process engineering, manufacturing management) or in other functions (i.e. sourcing, product management, R&D/product development, sales, etc.).
- Experience working within Lean Manufacturing environment.
- Basic-to-full professional fluency in any of following languages in use at LORD global operations or major customers is a plus, currently including German, French, Italian, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
LORD Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.