Market Sector Directors will serve as overall lead, setting the vision and direction for implementation of the firm's strategy to expand and provide services to the associated market sector. The Market Sector Director (MSD) will facilitate the development and implementation of business strategies across the firm in coordination with Business Group leadership, operational leadership, client managers and business class directors. Responsible to the Transportation Business Group Market Sector Development Director, the MSD creates and monitors frequent and regular communication across the firm to implement the strategic and operating plans for the market sector. The MSD will work with the Regional Business Group Directors, client managers, business class leaders and area managers to monitor operating results and improve our customer service while achieving our internal program performance goals.
Business Development Responsibilities – The Global Port & Maritime MSD will be the leader responsible for assessing the marketplace, determining the best business approach for HDR, and then to drive our organization to win and secure contracts. The role will be focused in the respective market sector, but a part of business development efforts will need to work cross-sector with other TBG market sectors as well as other market sectors in other business groups. The MSD will deploy an organization that is effective in gaining market share, and that will successfully interface with HDR client development programs and the Area Business Development Leaders.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of strategic vision and direction for the market sector – coordinating the visions of the different services offered to the clients with the operational business group and operational leadership across the firm.
- Incorporate our corporate vision within the market sector to become the industry leader.
- Serve as the Client Manager for selected key clients within the market sector, and be active and visible in the industry.
- Promote the marketing and delivery of all HDR services to clients within the market sector working with our client managers
- Participate as a member of the Transportation Business Group Management Team.
- Work with Regional Business Group Directors on development and delivery of Area market sector initiatives.
- Work with the client development leaders to drive client development and pursuit processes based on proven capture techniques.
- Support selected pursuits through client relationship development and/or through development of strategy and participation in pursuit activities.
- Participate in industry associations and serve as a company role-model in business and community organizations.
- Identify key investments (staff, acquisitions and technology) that will maintain or drive HDR into industry leadership position.
- Monitor marketing capabilities and ensure the market sector is working with departments to achieve goals.
Staff Development Responsibilities –
The Global Ports & Maritime Market Sector Director will define an organization that will best perform within the marketplace to win new work, provide new opportunities for staff growth and development, and support the North America MSD. The current organizational structure providing leadership support across the market sector is an experienced Practice Group. Members of the Maritime Practice Group consist of over 20 senior level professionals who represent all geographic regions, and who are experienced in providing relevant HDR services to private developers and companies.
The MSD will also lead and/or assist with identification of prospective future employees and will contribute in the recruitment of those individuals.
- Assume responsibility for Global Market Sector P&L in coordination with North America Market Sector Director and operations managers/staff and coordinate support of work-sharing among Areas.
- Work with business class directors and practice groups to drive technical excellence and coordinate technical staff to support the program and marketing efforts.
- Take a leadership role in identifying needs and opportunities for new and improved technical services and products so as to maximize the depth, effectiveness and efficiency of the practice.
- Coordinate staffing/recruiting plans for key hires and assist local leadership as necessary with local hires. Approves all key/strategic hires in the market sector.
- Participate in yearly reviews of key leaders for the market sector.
- Identify resource gaps and drive talent management and recruiting.
Support to Operations – The Global Port & Maritime Market Sector Director will work as a team with Regional Business Group Directors and Area Business Group Managers to deliver services within the market sector. Key responsibilities consist of helping to drive client management, monitoring and taking action regarding market sector profit and loss, ensuring project delivery and supporting the QA/QC program.
- Facilitate cooperation and eliminate hurdles and barriers to success.
- Monitor market sector performance indicators NFE/NFB/profits/positive equity/AR/losses/investments. Work with regional business group leadership to implement process improvements and leverage work sharing to meet or exceed planned goals.
- Be aware of staff workload and facilitate work sharing within the market sector; promote effective use of company resources and assist in applying key staff/expertise to projects.
- Assist with contract review on key projects to help ensure risk management, proper staffing, quality reviews and resolution of claims.
- Promote Quality Assurance/Quality Control; work with business class and regional leadership to assist the local programs with key technical expertise to support marketing and project activities.
- Facilitate development and dissemination of "lessons learned".
Keywords: #154535; Global Port & Maritime Market Sector Director
This position requires the following skills, attributes and experience:
- Minimum 20 + years of experience in transportation planning/urban planning and/or engineering with a majority of that experience within the Ports & Maritime market sector.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree.
- Experienced in development and management of strategic marketing programs for planning and/or engineering services.
- Experienced in development and management of a wide range of client relationships and specific program and/or project pursuits.
- Experienced in overall staff development to include recruiting, career path and professional growth.
- Experienced with industry associations and maintains a visible profile in the market sector.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with other Market Sector Directors, Business Class Directors, Cross Sector Directors, Regional Business Group Directors, Area Business Group Managers, Area Business Development Leaders and Managers from other Business Groups.
- International work is a growing, though still relatively small focus of the market sector. Some knowledge of the firm's target markets in Canada, Australia and the Gulf Arab States would be helpful.
- Demonstrated commitment to HDR values. An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.