The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Global Patient Services Access Coordinator serves as the primary contact for all International inquiries at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. The Global Patient Services Access Coordinator support families and coordinates medical appointments for new, current and returning International patients accessing the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. This position works in collaboration with the Global Patient Services (GPS) Intake Coordinator, GPS Clinical Nurse Coordinator, GPS Patient Care Navigators, International Medicine Business Managers and Operations Counselors, GPS Clinic team, Language Services and Hospitality Team to ensure all aspects of the patients/families visit are coordinated and convenient. .
- Conducts an efficient, structured and focused interview to help assess the clinical needs of the requester.
- Answers all phone calls within 2 rings
- Answers referral inquires with accuracy 95% of the time.
- Assures confidentiality of the requester needs 100% of the time.
- Serve as a resource person for other staff when questions arise regarding International access information.
- Acts as a liaison between caller, physician, and office personnel to ensure a coordinated course of care for our International families.
- Responsible for requesting medical records for review, directing those records to the appropriate medical/surgical sub-specialties and communicating the results of the review with the requester.
- Coordinates interactions with ancillary services and payment entities of International patients.
- Responsible for the coordination of all International scheduling requests.
- Initiates scheduling requests for new international patients within a 24-hour period.
- Coordinates and secures all scheduling requests for current International families within one week.
- Schedules Interpreter Services for International families as needed 100 % of the time.
- Assists with various follow-up appointments outside of CHOP as ordered and recommended including Penn Dental and Wills Eye Hospital.
- Serves as the primary contact for International payment and security entities.
- Registers all international patients with guarantor information in Epic
- Enters all international patients and physician contact information in Salesforce
- Works closely with International Medicine Operations Counselor to confirm financial clearance before appointments are scheduled
- Communicates the results of financial estimates for clinical services to various payment entities.
- Uploads all Letters of Guarantee (LOG) from Embassy to Salesforce
- Provides information regarding Visa application procedures.
- Provides letters to Embassy or family as requested for Visa renewal application.
- Provides information regarding US immigrations and customs.
- Provides letters for family employer as requested.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
- Conducts in-services and other educational seminars to the staff of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia regarding Global Patient Services at least 6 times/year.
- Provides structured feedback to clinical divisions regarding Global Patient Services.
- Together with clinical nurse coordinator, adopts a high volume unit at CHOP to conduct cultural presentations to staff for support and education 6 times/year.
- Provides Hospital Tours and presentation of services provided by GPS to Embassy and special guest visitors.
- Maintains and updates policies and procedures of International Access Program
- Reports monthly statistics to various departments at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Provides additional access assistance to International patients at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Meets and welcomes all newly arrived International Patients to CHOP in GPS clinic
- Informs new family of assistance and support that will be provided by Access Coordinator during CHOP stay
- Works closely with GPS clinic team to support families who need Triage and clinic appointments
- Works closely with Hospitality team to arrange airport transportation for families
- Works in collaboration with GPS Clinical Nurse Coordinator to ensure smooth and efficient care of all International patients and families
- Additional administrative tasks and duties shared by Access Coordinator team:
- Update Access Coordinator task list every 6 months or with staff changes
- Update Embassy Contact List every 6 months or with changes
- Update GPS DL lists as needed
- Check Shared inbox throughout day and follow-up independently on email inquiries
- Post Away message email to shared email when office closed
- Fax orders for Dr. Haecker daily
- Assist with organizing New Employee Orientation and onboarding for all new employees to GPS
- Maintains patient chart filing system
- Receive and distribute returned patient pathology slides
Work closely with Communications team to support forwarding phones and address intermittent phone issues
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of 5 years of related healthcare access experience
- Experience with current scheduling system
- Previous experience working in hospital finance and or billing department.
- Previous experience in complex clinical settings that required the coordination of multiple services
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
- Customer service background in an outpatient healthcare setting
- Experience with database maintenance
Additional Technical Requirements
- Proficient in secondary language is preferred
- Medical terminology and comprehensive understanding of medical reports mandatory for work distribution.
- Ability to deal effectively with the parents, physicians and all levels of Hospital personnel.
- Ability to understand medical terminology and direct patients to the appropriate specialty areas.
- High level of interpersonal skills with excellent customer service and responsiveness.
- Ability to work with confidential information.
- Must be able to effectively manage work across multiple departments.
- Demonstrated public speaking skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and make administrative decisions.
- Excellent telephone listening and verbal communications skills.
- Strong customer service skills.