The Mgr., Global Mobility Services is the subject matter expert responsible for a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures. These include immigration compliance, expatriate benefits, and relocation. This role is essential to provide guidance and direction to HR Managers, shipboard and shoreside personnel by coordinating visas and immigration requirements for expatriate and global short-term assignments.
The incumbent in this role as independent, analytical, and administrative responsibility for all operations and functions related to immigration, expatriate programs, and global relocation. This position is an information resource and educates shipboard and shore side staff about the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), US Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) as well as assists in resolving matters related to those agencies. This position also reviews and develops policies and procedures related to visas, relocations, and expatriate programs. Supports global Corporate Compensation in the elaboration of expatriate work-ups, administers basic expatriate programs such as tax equalization, housing allowance, payroll issues and moving of household goods. Liaises with external legal counsel, and assists employees with visa applications. Essential
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates all visas and immigration requirements for expatriate global short-term assignments and international permanent moves with the company immigration lawyers
- Primary source for information to the HRBPs and hiring managers regarding US immigration requirements and changes to ensure compliance with USCIS regulations.
- Reviews credentials from foreign nationals seeking visa sponsorships to ensure US immigration requirements are met and potential denials and loss of money is not at risk
- Liaises with management and employees to ensure all paperwork, including applications for visas, work permits, and permanent residence are completed accurately and in a timely manner
- Reviews all forms to ensure the information is accurate prior to submitting to USCIS
- Responsible for updating the US Immigration I-9 forms and database with work permit renewals and/or changes of status.
- Educates /coaches the recruiting administrators and others as needed in I-9 compliance requirements
- Educates shore side and shipboard personnel about the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and assists in resolving matters related to those regulations.
- Informs / educates and coaches the HRBPs and business in ensuring hiring of foreign nationals meet the correct criteria to be eligible for visa sponsorship
- Maintains the various relocation policies and manuals updated, provides guidance to employees subject to global mobility, and responds to any expatriate administration issue or question.
- Functions as the main point of contact for global expatriate programs with immigration firms, relocation agencies and tax advice providers
- Responsible for the preparation and execution of international assignment letters to ensure offering is consistent with company international assignment policy offerings and market practice
- Coordinates with international HR Managers, employee movements, ensuring offering is consistent with local market practice and labor laws.
- Supports HR Managers in the preparation of cost estimates and assignment letters for ship to shore temporary and permanent assignments
- Reconciles Global Mobility Costs at year end and generates reports for HR Management and other ad hoc requests from various departments
- This position requires a high level of tact, diplomacy, and independent judgment on actions of a highly confidential and sensitive nature and a detailed understanding of policies and procedures of US immigration and global mobility practices.
- This position requires a high level of knowledge with international labor laws and requirements to ensure employee mobility practice is in line with country regulations and practice Financial Responsibilities
- This position is responsible for providing the business with cost projections for employee movements Negotiates with the respective vendors in providing the required services in a cost-effective manner. It is responsible for reviewing and processing all invoices from the service providers, such as the law firm, relocation vendors, corporate housing vendors and tax services consultants. It continuously tracks all related costs to the company and provides the respective business financial analysts to assist in the budgeting requirements.
- The global mobility subject matter expert will manage in a given year costs exceeding $2MM Qualifications: Education requirement includes a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Human Resources from an accredited college/university or the international equivalent. Demonstrated experience with USCIS and U.S. Customs and Border Protection is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in Human Resources with a focus on immigration related issues. 3-5 years expatriate administration experience highly desirable. Tax equalization and balance sheet approach knowledge.
- Experience with global mobility and relocation for employees and executives.
- Experience and knowledge of international labor laws and practices.
- Must possess exceptional oral and written communication skills to read, understand, and explain written information in an accurate, readable, or oral form to a multi-level audience Knowledge and Skills: Able to administer all corporate relocation related issues for new hires and ship to shore assignments.
- Capable of reviewing and updating policies and procedures related to visas and global mobility. Demonstrated experience and knowledge in researching, analyzing, interpreting and evaluating complex information and policies.
- Exceptional communication skills to understand and explain in readable, written, and oral form any legal and/or regulatory information to a multi-level audience of managers, senior leaders, and external professional sources.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills to prioritize projects, ensuring follow through and smooth workflow to completion of assignments. Ability to efficiently audit and process a large volume of critical and confidential documents with extreme attention to detail while maintaining accuracy.