The Global Marketing Manager (MM) is responsible for setting the Division strategic direction and implementation of product development, as well as product management activities that will lead to a customer-centric and goal achievement culture. This includes development of marketing plans and activities that drive the flow of products to our customers in a manner that highlights differentiation and value. This “product champion” is the focal point for the Division with regard to product and market knowledge, planning/execution, and achievement of business objectives. The MM is responsible for end-to-end marketing activity, from identification of customer and market needs/wants, to concept and product development, product launch, on-market product support, through and including product discontinuation.
The MM is responsible for the following activities for their product(s):
- Recognition of new products to be developed to meet new market demands, or the creation of new markets. Provides leadership for product/concept justification during funding cycle, and provides similar leadership to product development team.
- Identification of new business opportunities through expansion of existing products into new markets, or enhancements of existing products to maximize existing markets.
- Providing direction and input to all in-house groups such as Public Affairs, Operations, Finance, R&D, Quality, and Regulatory that affect the successful achievement of business objectives.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- The MM is responsible for creating worldwide demand for his/her product in a customer-centric manner (exemplified by high satisfaction of needs, and therefore appropriately differentiated and adding value) by developing and overseeing execution of the marketing plan. This includes definition of and segmentation of the market, targeting and positioning, and all aspects of the marketing mix (product, place/distribution, price, and integrated marketing/promotion).
The following are some of the key responsibilities:
- Business Expansion: Participate in strategic planning initiatives such as Portfolio Management, Integrated Business Planning (IBP) to ensure profitable growth opportunities are supported.
- Competition and Positioning: Develop a thorough understanding of competitive offerings and provide commercial organizations with appropriately differentiated product(s) versus the competition in a profitable manner that adds value to the customer.
- Internal Communication: Responsible for creating a clear line of communication between marketing and all other areas that affect the product. This includes providing direction to the Commercial Areas/countries and all in-house groups. This entails use of technology-based tools such as Sharepoint, salesforce.com, intranet, conference calls, meetings, and international field travel.
- External Communication: Interface with consultants, marketing research firms, ad agencies, other vendors, and customers to effectively manage and grow business profitably, while maintaining a customer focus woven throughout all activities. Another aspect of this responsibility is gaining positive media exposure in partnership with the Public Affairs department.
- Developing the Marketing Plan: Incorporate all aspects of the marketing mix.
- Product Definition: Ensure that appropriate Customer Requirements/Design Inputs are crafted to guide the development team. Utilize market research, customer input, Area input, and other means to ensure profitable and differentiated products are delivered to market. Offer leadership to R&D and support organizations throughout development cycle (e.g. lead trade-off analysis, customer, financial, and timeline impact).
- Ensure Launch and Post-Launch Success: Offer leadership to the commercial organization through a successful launch and post-launch adoption. This includes the delivery of appropriate launch materials/tools to differentiate product versus the competition and grow the business in a profitable manner.
- Support the commercial organizations in achieving Plan/Update objectives.
The Global Marketing Manager position differs from Area or country-specific Product Management jobs in three key ways:
- Greater involvement in setting division-wide strategies (e.g. what products/projects to fund)
- Direction and leadership to the R&D organizations throughout the product development cycle (e.g. developing customer requirements)
- Exposure to all international markets, with the requirement to build networks and success through a deep understanding of cultural diversity and varying global market dynamics
Experience & Skills required:
The position requires an understanding of both the technology and capabilities of Diagnostics products, markets and customer dynamics, and functional operations across departments.
The successful candidate must have demonstrated leadership capability and possess an understanding of the sales process for diagnostics. Knowledge of the regulations and standards affecting In Vitro Diagnostics is required.
In addition to the Abbott leadership competencies, the successful candidate must also demonstrate:
- Positive attitude
- Desire and ability to lead the organization to ensure goal achievement
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation/communication skills
- Deep understanding of the complexities of the diagnostics market and customer needs
- Ability to develop, rationalize and present strategy
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with knowledge of financial models
- Strong work ethic, self-motivation and resourcefulness
The ideal candidate will have the following background:
- Healthcareexperience – 10+ years. Diagnoctics experience is highly preferred.
- Marketing experience – 5+ years
- Diagnostics commercial experience – 5+ years
- Product launch experience
- Scientific or technical experience in the fields of hematology and/or coagulation is highly preferred
- Project management experience
Bachelor's Degree in business, life sciences, engineering or related technical discipline. MBA is desired.