Expands the reach of Compassion’s Strategy efforts by developing and driving processes and tools that support the design, plan, and review of strategy across Compassion. Responsible for managing initiatives and integrating deliverables on behalf of the Strategy Office and Senior Vice President of the Global Leadership Office. Will also provide consulting expertise and strategy management for specific strategic initiatives that are deemed critical to ministry success. Works with all levels of management and staff across our global organization.
Essential Job Functions
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Compassion, and faithfully upholds Compassion’s ministry in prayer.
- Acts as an advocate for children – raising the awareness of the needs, neglect, nurture, and potential of children in poverty and challenging and enabling those within one’s influence to greater involvement and effectiveness on behalf of children.
- In coordination with the Global Executive Team’s (GET) Strategy Advisor and the Senior Vice President of the Global Leadership Office (GLO), identifies, defines and prioritizes global strategic work. Continually leads and manages a portfolio of a strategic initiatives, projects and events that are of various stages and durations (from weeks to multi-year) covering a wide scope of operations.
- Collaborates with senior managers as a thought partner and consultant to facilitate strategic conversations that look 2 to 3 years out that will enable Compassion to achieve a strategic intent or vision, provide benefits to significant stakeholders, and/or transform the organization. Provides highly respected recommendations regarding the level and type of service (e.g., consultation, facilitation) for each situation.
- Coordinates activities across line organizations to ensure appropriate consistency. Employs effective follow-up and management disciplines to initiate, plan, execute and close-out activities to achieve defined objectives. Also employs breadth and depth of strategy expertise and experience to guide activities in a way that meets GLO leadership needs and broader organizational and GET considerations.
- Converts point-of-view (POV) discussions into well-defined programs with milestones and criteria for leadership engagement.
- Provides professional leadership for strategy events like Global Councils, Leadership Forums, All-Hands meetings, etc., to achieve strategic intent of the event.
- Responsible for single point ownership for strategy artifacts (anchors, behaviors, etc.). Records key highlights of strategy discussions and events for further strategy development.
- Initiates learning and presents research on industry best practice as well as drive informed innovative thinking to effect ministry improvements.
- Leads strategic data/metrics definition, analysis and trending. Develops reports necessary to support strategic review and the communication of results. Provides proactive status reporting for all initiatives.
- Manages cost center budget and monitoring activities. May supervise other staff.
All Compassion employees are expected to maintain the four primary values:
- INTEGRITY: Conduct yourself in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ (Philippians 1:27)
- EXCELLENCE: Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord (Colossians 3:23)
- STEWARDSHIP: The Earth is the Lord's and all that is in it (Psalm 24:1)
- DIGNITY: God created man in His own image (Genesis 1:27)
- Experience developing and implementing integrated strategy methodology, best practices, tactics, tools and systems on a global platform. Well-honed strategic thinking that provides credibility. Demonstrated ability to work at the conceptual strategic thinking level as well as the detailed, tactical execution of work product level.
- High “emotional intelligence” - capable of understanding social and “political” situations that may enable or disable strategy and outcomes. Critical skills include the ability and willingness to listen, understand, and influence others; and the ability to reconcile multiple divergent viewpoints to a successful outcome. Uses sound judgment and common sense.
- Detail-oriented, proactive and able to keep work moving to meet deadlines with excellence.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – must be articulate and an excellent writer and verbal communicator.
- Initiative to identify issues and solve problems with energy, teamwork, and a positive approach. Generates options, analyzes the best course of action, follows up with stakeholders and brings resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team player. Strong people and relationship-building skills and ability to work effectively and collaborate with customers, vendors, peers, supervisors, team members, etc. Capable of being both collaborative and decisive, depending upon the requirements of the mission, the team, and the goals.
- Proven ability to formulate, execute and clearly report results utilizing strong analytical measures, critical decision-making and strategic planning skills.
- Ability to coordinate activities with internal and external stakeholders on a variety of initiatives, work independently to complete tasks, and keep things moving forward to successful completion.
- Demonstrated strength in spiritual servant-leadership and management abilities.
- Strong executive presence. Able to hold the attention and garner the respect of senior-level executives.
- Bachelors degree in Business Management or Administration or other relevant field of study. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of demonstrated leadership and increasing responsibility in related functions; prior NGO experiencepreferred.
- PC knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint, Visio). Experienced in applying the Balanced Scorecard or other appropriate methodology in a multi-national corporate environment.