Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
About this Job:
• Leads, sets the vision, strategy & direction for global geospatial applications, services, data assets, team remits under global Development Technologies function in support of seeds development. The incumbent is expected to demonstrate technical expertise to establish strategic direction as well as centered leadership seamlessly working across global, cross cultural, functional matrices.
• Champions – evaluation, designing, build and deployment of standard, scalable, fit for purpose geospatial applications, POC’s pilots in precision agriculture operations, facilitating evolution to future “Smart / Connected Farms”, while, keeping pace with technology cycles delivering productivity gains.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop & define global geospatial application strategy for R&D use cases closely working Seeds development operations, infrastructure and IT teams that is comprehensive on methodology, landscape with a clear global implementation plan.
• Establish a global framework that enables rapid upscaling / introduction of geospatial applications in Seeds development adapted to local needs translating evolution towards “smart / connected” farms.
• Contribute, lead the design, build out, prototyping and deployment of shared GIS infrastructure assets and services, and execute sanctioned GIS project work for Seeds Development.
• Work with business users and SME’s to understand relevant business domains in order to build effective data models and automated data processes.
• As technical specialist on GIS applications, define standards, procedures for scalable GIS system operations addressing R&D use cases that is highly integrated and automated.
• Actively scout for relevant technologies, vendor ecosystem development, be abreast with innovation, thought leadership in their areas of accountability.
• Establish a perpetuating system for tracking and managing evolution of geospatial applications & solutions landscape ROI supporting seeds operations unit’s phased implementation plan.
• Continuous improvements and innovation in delivery of geo spatial technologies, including improvements in HSE, cost-effectiveness, speed, accuracy and reliability working closely with operations team, assessing evolving needs.
• Establish and lead a global network of geo-experts, common interest groups with relevant functions, e.g. SDU operations, PPT, etc. to coordinate key technology advancements and promote sharing of best practice while continue to drive standardization for technology.
• Input into the capital investment plans taking into account the status of the current capabilities & capacities, alignment with global deployment framework.
• Support in building organizational capability embedded in front end organizations by creating a learning environment that ensures relevant employees have the skills sets to deploy new technology introductions.
• Promote sharing of best practice and continue to drive standardization for geospatial application data collection and utilization.
• Ensure training & development plan in the area of geospatial applications.
• High interest in agile lean development methodology focused to ensure quick turn around and high quality solution delivery.
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering or Telecommunications or Global Information System & Remote Sensing or Information Systems.
• Developing and managing a highly scalable, multi-regional GIS infrastructure (catalogues, services and applications) shared by multiple stakeholders and groups.
• Knowledge of and experience with GIS infrastructure deployment with AWS services
• Knowledge of Remote Sensing sciences specially in Photogrammetry and Hyperspectral Imagery
• Knowledge on GPS technologies: GPS, GLONASS, PRN, L1, L2, RTK, PPK, and GCP
• Extensive working knowledge of GIS technology stack (ESRI and/or FOSS), including (but not limited to:
o Multi band raster imagery with temporal data
o Spatial temporal data ETL, persistence (including logical data modelling of), geoprocessing and provisioning of using an SoA architecture
o Integration and utilization of federated GIS data and SaaS services
• Experience leading or working as part of (or led) a development team to build and maintain GIS CRUD web applications that rely on federated data sources.
• Ability to work with information from open source GIS and web-mapping solutions such as Geo Server, QGIS, AcrPy, OpenLayers, PostGIS etc.
• Excellent working knowledge on Python as a GIS scripting language, RDBMS systems including SDE geodatabase and object-relational database ETL automation and in db spatial query, Data wrangling tools and techniques and geoprocessing methods
• Good understanding of SDLC methods including traditional waterfall and Agile (Scrum).
• Knowledge of best practice in service / application management (ITIL & DevOps).
• Desirable - Semantic data modelling knowledge, agronomy, crop modelling, crop trialing, Ag business; spatial statistics in the field of environment or agriculture; GIS using big data technologies (Impala, Hadoop); Working across countries and cultures in order to achieve solutions, including with external vendors.
• 10 + experience in geo spatial applications for agriculture, meteorology or allied fields that uses geo data.
• Demonstrated experience and skills in managing global projects in a large matrix organization.
• Experience in technical service delivery, proven record of building and leading dispersed teams.
• Basic to expert working knowledge of R&D workflows and operations.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Traits & Abilities:
• Ability to develop spatial analysis using off-the-shelf software platforms like ESRI’s Arc GIS, Geodatabase, Open source GIS software and relevant GIS / Database platforms to support business and project needs.
• Ability to customize off-the-shelf GIS solutions and integrate with existing back end solutions.
• Demonstrate ability to develop and design new layers for GIS, data conversion, data extraction database design, and using analysis results to produce visualizations, reports, maps and supporting documentation based on requests.
• Knowledge to integrate large data layers from farm machines, soil sensors, UASs, satellites, weather stations and open source platforms to create new insights that drive actionable outputs.
• Develop automated analysis routines using GIS-based object-oriented programming or scripting languages. Programming experience with Python, R would be useful.
• Knowledge of GIS project cost and budgeting is essential.
• Ability to provide technical support, test plans and training to all internal stakeholders.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.