Katerra is a technology company transforming property development, design, and construction—from start to finish. We are building an entirely new kind of company that brings together expertise in design, technology, material sourcing, manufacturing, and construction as a single integrated offering.
With this unique approach, we have the opportunity to design and build beyond compromise. Beautiful, efficient, sustainable–we can do it all. The era of design concessions is over.
At Katerra, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, and bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of Katerra’s cultural principles is Diversity. We believe different backgrounds, ideas, and skillsets result in better outcomes. Katerra does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Katerra encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experience.
Katerra is currently seeking a Health, Safety, & Environmental (HSE) Director to support our growing business, ensure the safety and health of our employees, protect the environment, and to support our Katerra vision, values, and people promises.
The HSE Director is responsible for developing and implementing HSE programs, ensuring compliance with applicable laws, standards and requirements, implementing key performance indicators (KPIs), as well as verifying and validating that HSE programs are being effectively implemented across the company.
The HSE Director is expected to establish and promote a proactive safety environment and culture by setting the example, providing proactive coaching/mentoring, and helping our construction organization achieve HSE success.
The HSE Director will report to the Head of HR and must partner regularly with the business to ensure consistent HSE implementation across Katerra.
- Ensures the safety and well-being of all employees and visitors.
- Proactively manages risk by communicating potential risk and developing fit-for-purpose actions.
- Communicate HSE strategy with clarity, consistency, and impact to align resources and management.
- Communicate potential risk to upper management.
- Continuous improvement of HSE framework.
- Ensures global strategy is understood and executed consistently across the company.
- Coaches and mentors HSE team
- Verifies and validates HSE program effectiveness, improves as needed.
- Develops audit process to measure successes and improvement opportunities.
- Ensure communications to upper management and across the business as needed for HSE strategy, KPIs, and alerts.
- Validate and verify corrective actions have properly addressed root causes and selects platform to track information, including driving solution resolution of HSE activities and improvement opportunities.
- Evaluates program implementation to drive improvements that reduce injury and costs.
- Well informed on HSE regulatory requirement, translated to business leaders and leveraged for business decisions.
- Responsible to develop and maintain HSE budget.
- Closely works with Risk & Insurance on incidents, trends, worker’s compensation follow-up, return to work, and fit for duty programs.
- Proactively fosters collaboration with Learning + Development, Human Resources, and business lines.
- Represents company external regulatory agencies (e.g., Environmental Protection Agency, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Department of Transportation), as required.
- Spends 20-50% traveling to facilities and construction sites to ensure HSE team is properly supporting business needs.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field, such as safety, environmental, industrial hygiene, fire protection, science, or engineering required.
- 15+ years of HSE experience, with a combination of General Industry and Construction.
- Professional HSE designation (e.g., CSP) preferred.
- ISO and OHSAS development and implementation preferred.
- Global experience required.
- Experience working with government regulators and a thorough knowledge of federal, state, and local government HSE regulations.
- Experience developing and implementing HSE management systems and behavior-based programs.
- Ability to influence others to perform their jobs safely and create a culture of safety.
- Strong analytical skills including systematic root cause and risk analysis methodologies.
- Excellent organizational, planning, prioritization, follow-up, and closure skills.
- Strong leadership skills, including effective verbal and written communication.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite software programs.
- Ability to influence without direct authority.
- Leads by example.
- Attention to detail.
- Bias for action.
- Ability to self-solve.
- Comfort with both strategy and execution.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Highly motivated, with aspirations for career growth.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Strong, values-driven leader.
- Initiative to execute on self-guided, special initiative projects.
- Strong verbal (facilitation and presentation) and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to evolve with various challenges and directions as new assignments and initiatives unfold.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding, dynamic work environment.
- Disciplined work ethic with great attitude and energy.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.