Partner with sites and global functions (R&D, TD, Quality) to optimize the use and cost of capital for new products and existing operations
- Lead efforts to evaluate the total business environment and how it impacts cost and amount of capital needed.
- Support the business in operational practices that help optimize the cost of capital by supporting areas such as reliability based maintenance and TPM
- Work with product development teams as new platforms are being developed, provide innovative engineering solutions, and lead the commercialization process where applicable.
- Supporting technical development in defining equipment strategies and engineering best practices for equipment selection.
- Partner with manufacturing and R&D leadership to implement technology transfers into the design, development, and modification of products and manufacturing facilities.
Drive the development and harmonization of best practice engineering processes and standards across all operating locations:
- Work with the sites to develop and implement global standards in facility design, process design, equipment, etc. to standardize and reduce the overall cost of capital to the company.
- Enable sharing and learning standards across locations and manufacturing platforms
- In partnership with field functions, establish and monitor engineering best practices to enhance asset life and operational efficiencies.
Lead the definition and execution of strategic capital projects
- Lead strategic capital planning, structured capital reviews and post capex assessment supportive of new capacities, innovation and competences.
- Ensures that project scope, objectives, deliverables, timelines and project costs are defined in line with business expectations and priorities.
- Execute strategic capital projects in line with business strategies and objectives.
Drive continuous process improvement and automation initiatives to increase efficiencies/output and optimize asset utilization
- Proactively identify and lead process improvement initiatives (e.g. LEAN) to streamline processes
- Initiate and lead automation efforts to drive efficiencies and reduce cost
Provide Engineering team leadership
- Provide leadership and guidance to a global Engineering team to effectively executive on Engineering strategies and programs.
- Set objectives and provide clear direction for execution.
- Responsible for organizational design and staffing decisions.
- Recruit, retain, train and develop the global engineering team.
- Build and sustain employee engagement by creating a culture of efficient execution and an environment in which individuals and teams can excel and continuously improve.
- Ensure that appropriate process engineering and automation knowledge and expertise exists within engineering to support existing and emerging needs
Provide Engineering technical direction, leadership, and education
- Serve as company expert and resource on engineering matters.
- Present technical information to management to ensure their understanding of the engineering issues affecting the company.
- Interface with management at all levels to understand and proactively address issues affecting facilities or equipment.
- Facilitate regular learning forums to facilitate knowledge sharing, skill development, and education on new standards/procedures through the organization.
- Facilitate global communications related to Engineering.
- Find technical solutions and innovation by bringing to bear a network of external experts and solution providers, technology leaders and IP search companies as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science is required; Master’s degree (M.S. or MBA) is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of related and progressive engineeringexperience including process engineering, capital and project management, best practices, standardization, and product commercialization.
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing a global engineering team.
- International, global experience in a GMP environment.
- Direct experience with process improvement methodologies (e.g. LEAN, etc.)
- Experience with large capital projects
- Pharma industry required; vaccines preferred (Aeseptic)
- Ability to influence at all organizational levels through clear, concise and impactful verbal and written communication skills
- Possesses a strong ethical framework, enabling efficient and effective decision making
- Ability to excel in a multifunctional team and matrix environment.