This position is responsible for the direction and leadership of the _____ Section of the GIS Department within the BTS Global Practice. Areas of responsibility include general roles supporting the overall Technology Conuslting Department and specific roles relative to the GIS Section including the following, with other duties as assigned by senior management:
- Support or lead portions of department meetings; organize and lead section meetings.
- Coordinate with other Department section managers and the Department Manager.
- Interpret and establish policies, procedures, and strategic goals of the organization.
- Support and assist in the development of a Department business plan.
- Demonstrate creativity, foresight and judgment in anticipating and solving problems.
- Determine departmental objectives and requirements, organize projects and develop standards and guidelines.
- Recommend changes in the GIS Section and/or the Technology Consulting Department structure and organization to achieve the objectives assigned to them.
- Market global practice, Department and Section capabilities with higher focus on technical development functions and efficiency improvement projects to serve our clients, increase staff skills, and maintain billable goals.
- Attend project meetings when requested by division
- Advance and develop Department tools and work flows to increase efficiency of designs, specification development, and project execution.
- Areas of direct responsibility / focus for the GIS Section Manager include:
- Provide administrative, supervisory and technical direction for GIS Section personnel
- Set quality review assignments and perform quality reviews for GIS related projects.
- Assist with and lead proposal efforts.
- Establish or review budgets and schedules for GIS related proposals
- Provide guidance to lead GIS engineers relative to set-up and structure of staffing and execution approach on projects including interface with other disciplines
- Monitor progress on GIS related projects and provide input into areas of concern and direction or redirection to enhance achievement of project schedules, productivity goals, budgets, and quality
- Serve as the technical advisor and provide senior-level input and evaluation of project development activities and EPC bid activities
- Serve as project manager for studies, project development and project definition efforts.
- Assist GIS Section staff with project setup in MIS, coordinating with the client / team, handling billing / invoicing, change orders, project closeout, etc.
- Support selection and definition of creative strategies (performance, technical, and commercial) to enhance EPC bids.
- Support EPC proposals in evaluating commercial terms and technical requirements related to performance and performance testing for the EPC contract and coordinating flowdown of similar requirements to subcontractors and equipment vendors to mitigate BMcD risks.
- Assign work and review GIS Section staff performance to ensure quality and efficient, cost-effective utilization of staff.
- Monitor and maintain development staffing levels, staffing loading, and staffing assignments to meet project requirements while maintaining billable goals.
- Recruitment, development, training and retention of GIS Section personnel.
- Supervise work flow development and preparation and maintenance of tools and standards for execution of technical development on projects
- Supervise work flow development and preparation and maintenance of tools and standards for detailed design
- Supervise maintenance of cost databases related to capital and O&M for GIS related Work.
- Act as a coordinator / liaison with other global practices on activities related to GIS project technical development
- Act as a coordinator / liaison with regional offices and provide guidance regarding project approach, contacts and expert consultants, availability of personnel for quality reviews, and other similar activities related to GIS project technical development.
- Provide administrative, supervisory and technical direction for Cooperative Education Students and Summer Interns assigned to the GIS Section including assignment of work, coordinating site trips, and other associated functions.
Bachelor's degree in GIS or other engineering discipline from accredited program. Minimum 7 years related professional experience in engineering design (conceptual or detailed) and/or project management with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the AEC industry. Experience must include experience related to project scope definition, scoping studies, technical development, EPC bidding, and capital cost estimating of GIS related projects. Previous management experience is preferable. Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to clearly and effectively present complex information to all levels of employees, management, and clients. Position requires the ability to thoughtfully and positively influence, lead, and manage change. Must possess strong project management skills and a strategic perspective. Must be proficient in the use of basic computer software (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint). A professional engineer license is required. Position requires 20-50% travel.