At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us'
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is currently seeking a GIS programmer/Specialist to work onsite in San Jose for a transportation agency client. This position would be part of a dynamic team responsible for delivering customized geo-spatial solutions and advanced data analytics for multiple divisions within the agency. The successful candidate needs to demonstrate a high degree of initiative, be able to work independently and collaboratively as a team member, have a passion for innovative GIS technologies, data analytics, and have an interest in transportation planning and project delivery. The selected candidate will play a major role in the development of the Agency's open data portal over the next few years using both ESRI Enterprise and open-source softwares. S/he will also be the technical lead in numerous initiatives that involve ETL of data to support advanced analytical work using real-time data and other types of Big Data. S/he will be tasked to diagnose, evaluate, and resolve data pipeline issues. This position will also develop and implement strategies to improve workflow efficiency by streamlining and automating data analyses and other processes.
On a day-to-day basis, this position will be using Postgres, Python and R to maintain, update, and scrub databases. This position will also perform advanced data analytics and develop visualization. Another core function of this position will be using ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Portal to develop, publish, and manage custom web portals for internal and external users. S/he will also be developing customized web services using GeoCortex and/or other similar softwares. The responsibilities of this position may also include fielding general mapping and data analysis requests. Primary Responsibilities
In the role of GIS Programmer, we'll count on you to
Qualifications Required Qualifications
- Prepare complex scripts or programs to automate functions within a desktop or web-based GIS environment
- Work from and implement documented application requirements and develop supporting workflows
- Understand development best practices in developing and maintaining applications, including writing code, testing and debugging, source control and documentation
- Develop stand-alone desktop or web-based software applications that integrate spatial and tabular data
- Perform other duties as needed
- Two years of experience with ETL tool (Python, R, or Postgres)
- Two years of experience in statistical analysis, data visualization, and database applications
- Two years of experience in ESRI or QGIS/PostGIS desktop mapping and spatial analysis tools and extensions
- Two years of experience with automating tasks using tools such as ModelBuilder/ArcPy for ArcGIS
- Demonstrated proficiency in using ArcGIS Server for web mapping solutions
- Demonstrated proficiency in the processing and analysis of raster and vector geospatial data
- Demonstrated proficiency in implementing data QAQC
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate in both verbal and written form
- BS Degree in Data Science, Statistics, GIS, MIS, Environmental Science, Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Computer Science, or related field is required
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must
- Esri Certification
- Experience in developing applications using ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server with MS SQL Server or Oracle, ArcGIS Mobile, ArcPad or Microsoft SharePoint
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.