GIS Coordinator, Regional
5 - 7 years experience • Energy & Environmental Services
About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in GIS design and data management? SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a Regional GIS Coordinator who will be a core members of SWCA’s Geographic Information Systems (GIS) program, and will be responsible for the oversight and management of regional GIS staff, GIS project management, GIS technology development, mentoring, training and marketing, coordinating and collaboration with other regional GIS team leads across the company, and upholding our company’s standards of excellence.
It is critical the selected candidate be located in the Texas-Gulf Coast region and sit in one of our offices within the region.
The selected candidate will report to the senior leader within the region.
What you will accomplish
- Provide leadership to the regional GIS specialists including mentoring and developing the teams skillsets through job shadowing, assist with goal setting, conduct performance reviews, and support management with make hiring/staffing decisions related to the GIS technician staff.
- Manage the workload of the team to ensure that productivity goals are met and that projects are delivered on time and on budget.
- Act as senior QA/QC officer within the GIS user group; verify GIS output created by other GIS group members.
- Lead regular staff meetings to communicate corporate messages, project updates, and upcoming work to team members.
- Maintain a collaborative work environment between directors, project managers, resource leads and GIS specialists to advance the current state of GIS as part of our project, marketing, and field efforts.
- Work with regional staff to document standard GIS protocols and procedures to govern GIS data development, analysis, mapping, reporting, and QA/QC.
- Act as a technical and analytical lead within the GIS group for providing GIS solutions as part of projects. Provide forward-thinking guidance and direction for the development and implementation of new GIS technologies, software, and innovative processes.
- Adhere to a clean, organized, and well-designed file structure for both spatial and non-spatial data
- Support internal and external marketing efforts developing technical scopes of work, cost estimates, and schedules.
- Participate in presentations, client interviews, and other business development activities.
- Use ESRI ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS desktop for developing GIS data, geoprocessing, analysis, cartographic design, and map production maps.
- Oversee the administration and management of field GPS and other field data collection devices and provide technical support and training to staff in the use of ArcPad, Terrasync, ArcGIS mobile, and ArcGIS Collector.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Cartography, Archaeology, Biology, Environmental Science or related field with an emphasis in GIS (or GIS certificate). Master’s degree a plus. Equivalent experience and coursework also acceptable.
- A minimum of five years of professional work beyond university attendance.
- Strong organizational skills related to scheduling time on projects and meeting deadlines while working within an organized file structure protocol.
- Ability to effectively manage a group of direct reports (up to 8), some remote, in various regional offices for growth, development, and collaboration in support of business goals for the region.
- Ability to lead a team and resolve issues that arise in an efficient and diplomatic manner.
- Occasional travel to offices within the region to meet with team members.
- Strong understanding of topological relationships, troubleshooting complex data sets, and applying creative solutions to problems.
- Prior work experience within natural or cultural resources management, remote sensing, and/or water resources, and prior experience working with federal land agencies such as the USFS, NPS, BLM, BOR, USGS, or other, is desirable.
- Proficient knowledge and ability to utilize ESRI ArcGIS 10.3 or higher.
- Demonstrated ability of data transfer, data analysis, data mining, and data inventory using software applications (e.g., Windows Explorer, Excel, Access, and ESRI ArcGIS).
- Demonstrated knowledge of cartography and computer mapping including design principles and understanding map creation procedures in ArcGIS.
- General understanding of basic statistics, and geometric math computations (e.g., summary, distributions, frequency, min/max, range, angles, distance, slope, degrees, area)
- Demonstrated experience with GPS technology, field data collection techniques, data integration to a GIS, and troubleshooting of equipment and digital files.
- Demonstrated ability to apply spatial and 3D analyses, and raster math within ArcGIS while maintaining data integrity.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to produce presentations, and/or written protocol of methods for reports or within metadata to replicate GIS-related analyses or modeling techniques applied on projects is strongly preferred.
- Prior knowledge and experience with ArcSDE, creating database schemas, domains, ArcGIS Server/web applications, network analysis, and/or application development is also a plus. Knowledge of Python, .NET, Java, PHP, HTML, is desired but not required.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
Requisition Number 2017-10056