HDR Engineering, Inc. in New England is seeking a Geotechnical Section Manager. This role will be responsible for strategically coordinating with key area operations staff and the national director of geotechnical engineering with respect to leveraging HDR's full skill set in transportation and other HDR business groups (Federal, Resources, and Water).
Will represent HDR Geotechnical Engineering to area DOTs and clearly communicate geotechnical capabilities to aid in the procurement of work both directly for the DOTs and internal HDR design efforts. Responsible to develop in-house staff and capacity to assist in additional work sharing opportunities in support of other HDR offices. Build relationships within HDR Transportation Business Group and develop sustainable relationships within other Business Groups operating in the New England area market place to support strategic and profitable growth. This position includes identification of geotechnical opportunities supportable from the New England and NY/NJ area geotechnical teams, as well as creating an environment for continued technical development, which includes the identification and hiring of appropriate staff to support the workload.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Responsibility for operations of production section including staff development, profitability, morale, quality control and marketing support
• Function as Project Manager and take responsibility for production on projects in addition to management responsibilities
• Take administrative responsibility for section staff and technical service functions, and lead and coordinate services with other sections
• Will be involved in marketing planning, proposals and interviews and will to represent HDR as a senior technical resource in front of clients and during coordination of pursuit related work.
• See that all work is planned, organized, controlled and evaluated through proactive project management system. Will be responsible for continually refining the process to increase technical competence, efficiency of design, and quality of product
• Implement, monitor and support company policy
• Select, train, mentor and manage technical personnel
• Manage and develop multidiscipline teams, and provide leadership for a diverse team across the region including clear communication of management expectations and advocacy for employee growth and wellbeing.
• Work cooperatively with National Directors and marketing staff in local and national marketing and production efforts
Keywords: Geotechnical Engineer, Geotechnical Section Manager, job #153988, *LI-MP1
• 15 years or more of experience; progressive in nature with emphasis on DOT related work (State and Federal), with in-depth knowledge of area DOT practice, including the application of the requirements contained in the DOTs design guides, specifications, and standards
• Advanced degree in Civil Engineering (with geotechnical concentration) or a geology related field
• MA Professional licensure (PE) is required.
• Demonstrated ability to complete geotechnical investigations and analyses for bridge foundations, embankments, slopes, retaining walls, drainage elements and other roadway elements
• Sufficient knowledge in both rock and soil mechanics in order to fully understand the technical elements of each (breadth), in order to comfortably apply advance concepts to challenges that are new to HDR or the geotechnical group.
• Experience with all currently active contracting mechanisms and an understanding of how key decisions are made during procurement of services, including DBB, DB, and task order contracts. Sufficient knowledge of contracting and other loss prevention techniques that elevates the geotechnical engineering practice
• Proficient with geotechnical software including gINT, Slope/W, APILE, LPILE, and settlement software, as well as the ability to develop and execute designs using spreadsheets
• Proficiency in conducting seismic analyses
• Experience on complex projects with a variety of deep foundations, slope retention and ground improvement systems
• Project management experience.
Candidates who reside locally in the greater Boston/New England area are preferred.