Schnabel is an employee-owned, professional consulting firm that focuses on solving problems related to the earth and environment through specialization in dam, geotechnical, geostructural, and tunnel engineering. Schnabel’s high standards for quality, business ethics, and concern for the communities they live in and support, are a vital part of who they are and what they offer. Founded in 1956, Schnabel has experienced tremendous success and growth through its dedication to excellence in client service, high quality, and value-added solutions. Schnabel is an ENR Top 500 Design Firm and Top 10 Dams and Reservoirs Design Firm with 400 employees in 22 offices throughout the United States and headquartered in Richmond, Virginia.
Recognized by CE News as one of the Best Engineering Firms to Work for, Schnabel provides employees with a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, life and disability. Engagement in Schnabel’s wellness program offers incentives for employees to pursue a healthy lifestyle, and the firm rewards employees through its Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
The Blacksburg, Virginia office of Schnabel Engineering is seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to join our growing practice. We are looking for a motivated candidate with attention to detail, a passion to continue to develop as a professional, and a desire to be part of a strong team.
- Provide engineering support on geotechnical projects during the design and construction phases.
- Planning and performing subsurface investigation and testing programs
- Project and task management
- Proposal development
- Scheduling, coordination, and oversight of junior staff during subsurface investigations and deliverable development
- Performing geotechnical engineering analysis
- Preparing field test logs and engineering reports
- Perform and oversee observation/testing of specialty geotechnical works and foundations during construction
- Review field reports and laboratory test results during construction phase of projects
- Development and production of plans, profiles, and cross-sections utilizing Microstation or AutoCAD software
- Survey interpretation, calculation of quantities, and creation of various other supportive drawings and graphics
- Development of geotechnical drawings and specifications
- Must be willing to travel; some overnight travel should be expected
- 5+ years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- Master’s Degree in Geological Engineering or Civil Engineering is preferred
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Virginia, or the ability to obtain licensure in Virginia with three months.
- Previous rock slope evaluation, remediation design, and construction experience is a plus
- Prior experience with Transportation, Power/Energy, Water/Wastewater foundation/geotechnical designs, subsurface investigations and geotechnical recommendation reports is preferred.
- Knowledge of design codes including IBC and AASHTO
- Experience with ASD and LRFD design methodology
- Ability to navigate investigation and construction sites, enter trenches, climb ladders and work outside
- Valid driver’s license and dependable transportation
- Familiarity with word processing, spreadsheets, gINT, AutoCAD, MicroStation, and data management computer programs
- Experience with geotechnical analysis and design software such as: LPile, Group, Slope/W, Settle3D
- Very good oral and written communications skills
- Strong professional work ethic and desire to perform at a high level
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Attention to detail and well-organized
- Ability to pass a pre-employment screening.