The Staff Accountant will be responsible primarily for Keystone/Conemaugh financial data management, journal entries, account reconciliations, timely completion and execution of monthly and quarterly internal financial reports, internal controls, audit preparation/participation and accounting for various other needs of the business. This incumbent will work closely with the Stations, the Keystone-Conemaugh Project Office, and REMA leadership and will be responsible for multiple other ad hoc projects as assigned, which will cover all aspects of general accounting, cash management, and finance primarily associated with REMA.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Good understanding of all Key-Con and REMA related accounting requirements
- Daily monitoring of bank accounts with the ability to identify anomalies in balances and to research/reconcile differences in a timely fashion
- Timely calculation and preparation of journal entries into the ERP system
- Strong understanding of and experience with US GAAP and accrual accounting. Will be accountable for analyzing operational sales data and to develop analytical models to track moderately complex accounting accruals
- Research, quantify and explain variance for various period comparisons
- Perform accurate and timely reconciliation of assigned monthly general ledger accounts, thorough self-reviews, and incorporate review comments prospectively
- Accurate data entry, modifications, reconciliations, and review as it pertains to the organization's customer data master files
- Support the business’ procurement processes and procedures, including coordination, education, and enforcement of corporate competitive bid process, vendor creation/maintenance and facilitation of purchase requests and entering goods receipts
- Perform accounting research and understand technical accounting issues (e.g. FASB, EIA etc.) as needed to execute on primary job responsibilities
- Develop and regularly updates process mapping, checklist and procedure documentation relative to daily, weekly and monthly tasks including issue resolution
- Identify issues, communicates and resolves in a timely fashion to supervision
- Prepare assigned quarterly schedules and components of monthly reporting packages within strict timelines for consolidated and non-consolidated entities
- Work professionally with other accounting, finance, treasury, Supply Chain, AP, AR, Tax, HR, etc.
- Ability to create track Fixed Asset accounting
- Good understanding of Payroll / Benefit accounting including vacation liability accruals
- Understanding of Lease accounting
- Participate in special projects as required
- Understanding of Fuels Accounting, Payroll / Benefit Accounting, and Fixed Asset Accounting
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Minimum of 5 years of accounting experience
- CPA & Masters in Accounting
- Knowledge of Keystone & Conemaugh Owners requirements
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics system preferred.
Additional Knowledge and Skills:
- Has initiative and self-motivation to work independently. Must be a self-starter able to understand and meet deadlines without continuous supervision
- Adapts effectively to new and changing environments; willing to take on additional tasks and responsibilities as requested
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills
- Excels in conceptualizing and assimilating data to make quick decisions and take value-added action
- Ability to work effectively in team environment. Able to take a leadership role in a project team to assist in establishing plans, coordinating team activities, and assuring successful completion of objectives
- Strong written skills and communication
- Understanding of Risk Management
- Experience with ERP Accounting System
- Proficient in Microsoft office and windows based business software with working knowledge of Excel, Access, and Visio.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and entering the plant
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities
- Requires long periods of sitting in front of a computer monitor.
- Normal industrial office environment.
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required
- Requires occasional travel outside of service area
- Requires operation of a personal computer.